Moderator Control Panel ]

Still Trouting & Pouting

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Still Trouting & Pouting

Postby SOBX » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:47 pm

"Bout 3 dozen fish this morning with CLFF buddy, Jan Willis, so we're still catching specks, but while we have dodged a bullet on cold stuns with the last artic blast, pretty sure all you boys up North are still dealing with it

Our problem seems to be a cold & ice event that deals with short term travel accommodations that involve waxed cardboard. :(

One of Jan's decent fish on 4/5wts, for down here after days and days of smalls ---

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... 523cd9.jpg

----- can't believe I'm taking pics of fish this size and being happy they ain't smaller!

Good Fishing!!!

Re: Still Trouting & Pouting

Postby bhorsley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Talked to a buddy who rode most of the creeks around Swanquarter and north and so no floaters --looks like we might of dodged a bullet
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby SOBX » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:06 pm

I agree Brian, not much in the way of a cold stun with incredibly low temps for 2 days (about 36/40 hours, really).

Seems over the years it has either got to be a severe cold snap that lasts for 3 days or more, or what I think is even worse is a cold front with precip (heavy snow or sleet/freezing rain) with a rapid warning trend that melts all the ice/snow quickly and sends it into the creeks like pouring ice water into a hot bathtub.

All that cold water goes straight to the bottom of deeper holes that trout over winter in and get caught in a tough situation. Only the Good Lord knows for sure, guess that's why He made em to survive most anything but us on occasion.

Good Fishing!!!

Postby kendalloz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Chuck,

Glad you are getting them still. Have a friend who got some reds in Rudee this week (not on fly but on artificials). Talked to a commercial Eastern Shore shellfish guy Monday and 3 days before (last week) he was working his beds when a school of drum cruised over sniffing through the "mud" they churned up as they checked their crop. So we have reds and specks that are not migrating south but stripers who don't come here no more. Very interesting.

Would love to try Rudee Monday when it is warm but family obligations are the rule.

Keep fishing and keep posting your reports!

PS There was a small fish kill in Plantation Creek (Bayside Eastern Shore) but it was supposed to be "small" whatever that means. Specks and reds. It was during the last cold blast. Plantation is shallow and has no deep holes that I know of. Not a good place for fish in the winter. No other kills in VA that I have heard of....

Postby SOBX » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:18 am

We're still getting some, mostly smalls, but now and again we find some decent fish. Yesterday found me with a young man from the fly club, Lucas Gomez, that had never caught one, never cast a 4wt, and never been on a flats skiff, so Albert Bruno and I made sure he did all of those and added 4 more specks (here's the first). :D

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... 0afb46.jpg

Albert and I even found a few of these, and forgive me in advance for one of the worst pics ever (looks like maybe my iPhone lens may have fogged up from being in my parka pocket next to my warm heart), but we did get some fairly nice specks. :o

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... cbef38.jpg

Good Fishing!!!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout