Moderator Control Panel ]

booked my first trip to Harker's

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

booked my first trip to Harker's

Postby boatdrinks » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:47 am

Hello,

I recently booked my first trip to Harker's Island. I'm going down the last week of Oct into the first weekend in Nov. Staying at the Harker's Island Fishing Center and bringing my boat. Very excited to try for albies down there. If anyone else will be around let me know. Looking forward to finally seeing the place.

Re: booked my first trip to Harker's

Postby SOBX » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Live here and unless the revoke my bond or the house arrest ankle bracelet malfunctions, I'll be somewhere bent and bowed up! ;)

Bring a 4/5/6wt in case the trout fishing is better than the albie fishing, and definitely plan on attending the Cape Lookout Fly Fishers on the first Friday of Nov and then the Earnhardt BBQ on the first Saturday. You might just hit it square on the money, but if weather is decent, you will catch fish. :D

They could look like this on a 4wt/5wt,

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... 40a374.jpg

or this on a 5wt/6wt,

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... 9933-1.jpg

or this on 7/8/9s & 10s or whatever stick you think will work for 10 to 20 plus pounders! ;)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... 0c54ee.jpg

Good Fishing!!!

Postby boatdrinks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:37 am

Awesome! That's what I'm looking for!!! How would I go about approaching the trout and drum fishing down there? It seems like theres so much water in the sound I'm not sure where to start. I'm bring my Parker 21se which runs fairly shallow but is by no means getting up on a flat.

Postby SOBX » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:04 pm

With that boat, I'd fish the jetties, the beaches along both Shackleford and At Beach, and get out to Shark Island (there's always a lee side to an island, although sometimes it doesn't feel like it).

You will be surprised where you can go based on the tides, so watch em carefully, ask Rob and Vanessa at HIFC for suggestions, and you can also get to and fish the HI bridges.

Good Fishing!!!

Postby boatdrinks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 pm

thanks a lot. Much appreciated

Postby boatdrinks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

when you guys fish shark island or any part of the cape lookout shoals for the matter, what is the standard approach to fly fishing it? I'm very familiar with fishing rips from all the fishing I do on the cape. We stem the tide a lot there.

Postby SOBX » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 pm

There is certainly current and tide, but most of the folks fishing are looking to the massive shallow flats (3 to 8ft) and oft times clear as a crystal water for fish and bait.

The deeper cuts, drop-offs and guts hold fish from small blues to big sharks (imagine that), smaller red drum (puppy drum) and even "bigs" can be found from the surf out, but just not many classic rips. I know that sounds strange, but it is an island that varies in size from 10/20 acres down to 20/30% of that. Heck, sometimes it is a series of islands with flats and lagoons between dry land. The dynamic changes on every storm and tide, so it will be hard to describe the fishing and unless you live here it won't do much good to give you track/routes/way points to get from point A to points B/C/D & E.

Weather permitting, you will catch plenty of fish and have a ball, just don't limit yourself to just one species. That has really left folks watching cable TV when they could have been catching other stuff, and I'm definitely in the camp of folks that are much happier catching puppy drum/weakfish (gray trout)/specks or anything that will eat a fly (stripers or rockfish to over 30 inches an hour's drive west) than sitting at the dock cussing the weather.

Good Fishing!!!

Postby boatdrinks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm

awesome thanks. Yeah that's my school of thought as well. If I can't chase albies I'm going to fish to trout and reds or whatever else is around.

Postby fishermike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi! Hope to see you bowed up. Be sure to come by the house we rent at Harkers to check on how we have been doing and what has been working for us. We will be down there the same time as you. We are the Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers and will be at 114 Pintail Lane on the island. Come on by to share some stories. Look forward to meeting you and tight lines, mike buss :)

Postby boatdrinks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:10 pm

fishermike wrote:Hi! Hope to see you bowed up. Be sure to come by the house we rent at Harkers to check on how we have been doing and what has been working for us. We will be down there the same time as you. We are the Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers and will be at 114 Pintail Lane on the island. Come on by to share some stories. Look forward to meeting you and tight lines, mike buss :)

I'll be sure to! I'm already planning on bring down plenty of beer and food to help make some friends

Next

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout