Moderator Control Panel ]

Hello

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Hello

Postby boatdrinks » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello,

I just joined the forum. I'm interested in starting to do some fishing down in the OBX so I figured this would be a good place to start. I fish Cape Cod and the Chesapeake (fly and light tackle) now and I look forward to giving it a shot down there.

Re: Hello

Postby SOBX » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Hello right back at ya! :)

Where are you located, OBX (Northern Outerbanks) or SOBX (Cape Lookout/Harkers Island/Morehead City)?

Good Fishing & Merry Christmas!!!

Postby boatdrinks » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 pm

well I live in dc and fish the chesapeake but I'm looking to set up my first trip down there. I'm thinking the cape lookout area, maybe harker's, because it seems really convenient to great fishing especially someone who's never been down there

Postby SOBX » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:04 pm

DIY, need a guide/captain, what do you want to catch, when are you heading down?

If the water ain't hard (frozen) we pretty much fish year round either along the SOBX or within an hours drive to the coastal creeks off the Pamlico, Neuse/Trent, Swansboro and Jacksonville. Throw in another 20/30 minutes and shad season starts as early as Feb. With water temps in the creeks at 52/54 trout fishing for spotted seatrout (specks) is still in full swing and there are both specks and red drum in the ocean.

Most folks are trout fishing as that is the traditional thing to do, but striped bass/rockfish are as close as New Bern and the creeks over that way (not as big as the Chesapeake Bay but certainly a shot at 10/12lb fish plus tons of schoolies).

Jan/Feb ----- trout, rockfish, shad and red drum (smaller fish)

Mar/April ---- shad, rockfish, At Bonito, early blues, reds, trout, sharks

May/June --- blues, Spanish, cobia, AJs, albies, reds, trout, rockfish, bass, big blues, dolphin, sharks

June/July --- pretty much as above

Aug/Sept/Oct ----- ALBIES, SPANISH, rest of above

Nov/Dec ----- trout (weakfish & specks), reds, rockfish, more trout

This covers rods from 3s to 12s and fron the top to down deep. As with everything, weather/wind is the big factor along with named storms (damn them).

Good Fishing & Merry Christmas!!!

Postby boatdrinks » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm

wow great post thank you. I'm thinking of coming down at the end of october/beginning of november for albies. I have a Parker 21SE that I'd tow down and hopefully stay at Harker's Island Fishing Center if I can get a room. I've read a lot about the great albie fishing and am really excited to give it a try.

Postby bhorsley » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 pm

you might think about earlier in October--but your time frame is good as well.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby fishermike » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi! Welcome aboard! For your info, our fly fishing club, Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers, has been coming down to Harkers to fish for albies for the past 17 years and last year was our best year ever as far as numbers of fish go. We rent a real nice house on the island and this year we have it again from Fri nite, Oct 17, thru Sun am Nov 2. Cost is $30 per nite plus share of food costs. So if you are looking to stay in something a little nicer than the fishing center, just give me a shout and we can reserve a spot for you. You can stay one nite or two weeks, it's up to you. It's been our experience that once you get into Nov, the wx becomes very unpredictable, catch that, it is predictable, it's going to be blowing and raining most of the time! But there will be a few days thrown in where you can get out. Hope to see you on the water "bowed up with a nice'un"! thanks and tight lines, mike

Postby boatdrinks » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:49 pm

thanks for the info guys. I'll talk to my crew and see what they can do. either way I'm excited! BTW if anyones around when I am, I'm happy to exchange food/beer for local knowledge!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout