Moderator Control Panel ]

Running from Beaufort Inlet to Harkers

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Running from Beaufort Inlet to Harkers

Postby Richard » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 am

Is there a preferred route running from Ft Macon to Harkers...south of Middle Marshes along Shack or the cutover channel on the N. side of Middle Marshes?

Re: Running from Beaufort Inlet to Harkers

Postby SOBX » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 am

I find the later option my preferred, but I run it a lot. Both are well marked, but the channel right behind Shack has way more distance between markers and this leads to some tense moments when inexperienced folks can't clearly see from one set to the next set of markers. For that reason alone, I'd take what you call the northern option as it is much easier to see the markers.

Also remember that when you hit Middle Marsh, the bouys change (look closely at the last marker as you approach from either side, from Beaufort or Harkers Island Fishing Center), actually reverse and you should be paying attention to that.

Good Fishing!!!

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback for us occasional boaters.

Postby brcarls » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 pm

I can never figure out where the channel is on the "northern" route. Right where the marker is that changes over, I always get in very shallow water no matter which side I take... I joke that it would be less stressfull to just turn off the GPS/sonar and run the marked channel on plane.

I have better luck on the southern route next to Shackleford, but if you go marker to marker you'll run aground... There is a "you are here" marker (black/white diamonds) that if I use that as an additional channel marker, I never get in less than 5 feet of water.

But I am just a pilgrim who stumbles around in the Back Sound 2-3 times a year. I'd listen to SOBX :)

Postby bhorsley » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:25 am

i run the channel along Shack good water the whole way. All the buoys are on my chart (GPS Chart/Plotter) the green one west of the Black and White "danger buoy" is off station but most of the others very close to what is on the chart. Just feels weird running home (HIFC) and keeping the green on your right.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Jdog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 am

Shack route - especially if your an occasional boater, just easier to me and I am out there a bit. If you try the northern route just remember to follaw the crab pots IF they are there.

Course easiest if possible is to trailer the rig to a closer ramp!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout