Moderator Control Panel ]

A Friendly Weather Tip

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

A Friendly Weather Tip

Postby SOBX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:39 pm

For those of you that visit and have to live vicariously through some of the great posts here, and plan trips based on forecasts for the weekends and not just so far in advance that you show up and "takes your chances", I'd like to point out the differences between the NOAA Marine Forecasts.

This site provides a great weather tool, but the key to it is found in a handful of words that can be misleading at times, due to absolutely no fault of Brian & Sarah or the folks that built and maintain the site.

Those words are "out 20 NM" or for laymen, out 20 nautical miles, which is a ways! :D This is the forecast from Cape Lookout to Surf City and out 20 NM from this site:

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY
EVENING

TONIGHT
NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 1 TO 2 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD
9 SECONDS.

FRI
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 25 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4
FT. DOMINANT PERIOD 4 SECONDS.

FRI NIGHT
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD 4 SECONDS.

SAT
N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD 9 SECONDS.

SAT NIGHT
NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

SUN
W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

SUN NIGHT
W WINDS AROUND 5 KT. SEAS AROUND 2 FT.

MON
NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 2 FT.

This is the same forecast/days for a "point" or "spot" forecast by the same fine folks at NOAA (from an area around and 2 to 3 miles from the Dead Tree Hole, or 40/42ft of water just back towards Beaufort Inlet from the Rock Jetty):

Tonight: WNW wind around 9 kt. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Friday: N wind 14 to 16 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 to 2 ft.

Friday Night: N wind 11 to 13 kt. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Saturday: N wind 6 to 11 kt. Sunny. Seas around 1 ft.

Saturday Night: WNW wind 6 to 10 kt. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Sunday: WNW wind 6 to 9 kt. Sunny. Seas around 2 ft.

Sunday Night: WSW wind 5 to 7 kt becoming NW after midnight. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Monday: N wind around 7 kt becoming NE in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Seas around 1 ft.

Monday Night: NE wind 8 to 12 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas around 1 ft.

Compare the two and look at the differences location and distance from shore, especially 20 nautical miles makes. Know the areas that you'll be fishing and know the differences in forecasts, and know that there are a bunch of days you could fish off the beaches down here out to 40/50ft or greater depending on boat size and comfort levels, but you can fish and might not need your helmet and pads on waters that look more like a lake than something from The Perfect Storm! ;)

Now casting in the winds are not solved by any forecast NOAA does, trust me on that! :D

Hope this helps a tid. I'll be happy to tell you that this type of forecast is available on other sites, even one I own, and I will post the site and directions on how to to work the NOAA point forecasts as soon as I check with Brian & Sarah.

Again, no disrespect meant to any here or to Brian & Sarah! :)

Good Fishing!!!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout