Moderator Control Panel ]

VCFA House Report 10/23/13

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

VCFA House Report 10/23/13

Postby fishermike » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi! All of our boaters left today so we were sand people again and went out to the spit. We did see a couple of breaking pods as soon as we got there and then nothing until 10 min before the ferry was scheduled for our pickup at 4 pm. We had a couple of friends who were down from Toronto, Canada who were able to get out for a short time with Tom Earnhardt who was gracious enough to show them some of his secrets and they ended up with 5 hookups and 2 landed. Most of the boaters were able to find fish, but the conditions were difficult and most of them packed it in by noon. We were right in our predictions about the wind as it really was blowing and also right about the bait being packed up against the shore as there was a ton of bait all day long right next to the shore, but Mother Nature did not ring the dinner bell for the albies and they didn't get close enough for us to get serious shots. But there is always tomorrow and we will be out on the sand again and hope for better luck. It still has been a great season for us so far. Thanks again and tight lines to all! :D mike

Re: VCFA House Report 10/23/13

Postby Landlocked » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Mother Nature, more specifically the wind, has destroyed my planned trips over the past 3 weeks. I thought I could hear the wind blowing at the cape all the way up here in Hickory :mrgreen:

Postby SOBX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:30 pm

I know well how far Hickory is from Harkers, have had to make that downhill trip many times to get home after working with some fire depts. up that way and even farther up into the mountains.

This is a point/spot forecast for the area between Dead Tree Hole and about half way out the buoy chain:

Tonight: WNW wind around 9 kt. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Friday: N wind 14 to 16 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 to 2 ft.

Friday Night: N wind 11 to 13 kt. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Saturday: N wind 6 to 11 kt. Sunny. Seas around 1 ft.

Saturday Night: WNW wind 6 to 10 kt. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Sunday: WNW wind 6 to 9 kt. Sunny. Seas around 2 ft.

Sunday Night: WSW wind 5 to 7 kt becoming NW after midnight. Mostly clear. Seas around 1 ft.

Monday: N wind around 7 kt becoming NE in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Seas around 1 ft.

Monday Night: NE wind 8 to 12 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas around 1 ft.

Friday still has a SCA up but my friend, this is about as good of a forecast as you're gonna get the end of Oct or the first of Nov, and trust me, it is very fishable even with the hard north blow winding down Friday. The fish have been tucked up along the beach and casting may be tough, but the waters are like a lake.

Good Fishing!!!

Postby Landlocked » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:29 am

Point well taken SOBX, I totally agree. On the snottier days; SSW or W honking wind, traversing Beaufort Inlet to get out to Dead Tree Hole or the Cape is unpleasant at best and sometimes dangerous. I suppose it would be a lot nicer running from Harkers into the Bardens and then out the hook. I need to look into staying on Harkers instead of in Beaufort with all those tourists ;) .

Now if only I could stumble on a deal for a vacation/future retirement house on Harkers I'd be set. My wife and I are starting to look.

Postby SOBX » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Call the same folks Brian & Sarah used, Mitch & Joanne Mangum, they're the best out this way! 252 723 3146

Good Fishing!!!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout