Moderator Control Panel ]

RDG Again

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

RDG Again

Postby SOBX » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Left decent trout fishing after a phone call to Capt Joe Shute and may God Bless good cell coverage as it led me to a fine 3 hour tour of busting mid-size ''cores that would dman well eat!!!

Think Jan Willis may have been out with Carl Colandra (?), Hubert Parrot was out with a buddy, Doc Eiler showed up a tid late, and most of the guides and a few other fly and conventional boats all seemed to get their fill. Capt Jake had Chuck Furimsky and I know they had a blast as I saw em hooked up a bunch!

Numbers under cloudy skies were just shy of obscene if you could get your fly into the Atlantic Ocean where it looked like a washing machine was going berserk! ;)

For three hours I caught a fish on every decent cast, landed the fish and did it again. No hook failures, knots stayed together, 6 & 8wt are still at factory specs, backing still looked good going out & fine coming in, and I had one small break for half of a Snickers bar and a bottle of water and I swear fish came up next to the boat causing a slight interruption of hydrating and caloric intake! :lol:

I'd probably carry a sinktip unless you just want to cast to busting fish. The depthfinder was loaded with bait and I have no doubt that you could snag some albies going deep if you want try that.

Got to put the 8wt down and toss the 6 some today and that made the mediums feel almost like the "buffalos" from down off AB! ;)

Good Fishing!!!

Re: RDG Again

Postby Siessmack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm

How big of a sink tip SOBX? My old man and I will be down tomorrow night through Monday afternoon trying to catch one of these albies on a fly. And of course anything else. We'll be the two greenhorns in a white Key West 186 Sportsman with a Yamaha on back

Postby SOBX » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:14 pm

I would think that an 8 or 9wt with a 400/450gr sinktip/intergrated head like any of the Rio/SAs would work. Most have 30ft heads and will get a fly down easily to the 15/25ft range that the bait was in today.

Keep the leaders short, maybe just 4ft of 20lb fluro, same flies that work on busting fish and "dredge" some up

Good Fishing!!!

Postby Siessmack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks!

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout