Moderator Control Panel ]

Sunday 13th

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Sunday 13th

Postby surfbum » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Dark windy morning at the Cape with scattered pods showing. Finally hooked up on several nice pods INSIDE the HOOK which gave me a late 90's flashback.....Sounds like the western beaches were the best bet though....

Re: Sunday 13th

Postby Landlocked » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 pm

If there's one thing I've learned chasing these things it is this.....they always seem to show up where you used to be.

Postby SOBX » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 am

How many seasons have been spent inside the Hook or just off Beaufort Inlet? :D Most folks used to think the Eastside was like outer space and if you went west that the second pier was putting you close to falling off the edge of the Earth.

10wts were the rule, even for smaller fish and folks were seen more often in rain slickers and bibs instead of shorts and a light jacket! :D

The Fish Hook Grill used to have just as many pool tables as table set to eat and ice cold beer in coolers (salt added to keep it really cold), and a much more colorful bunch of patrons.

The best rooms at Calico Jack's were upstairs, the best ones at HIFC were the ones with a good heater and Rob's dad would welcome you to the Island with his New Jersey accent. :D

We had more eateries, same number of churches, stoplights, and could get gas at what is now Harkers Island Tackle & Provision Company.

I still had gray hair, but weighed in a quite a bit more than nowadays, some colorful captains have left this Earth (Jack Eudy comes to mind), Rob's dad no longer greets folks like me and y'all, Hatcher's motel is gone (oh the liquor drank on that second floor walkway watching the sunsets with Walt Jennings), we've lost some folks that were talked about even when they were with us (Big Wave Dave comes to mind with his alum skiff), and Earnhardt's BBQ was in it's early years when you never knew if Lefty, Popovics, Blanton, Jaweroski, Curricione (sp), Buzz Bryson, Raz and the Sage boys, the Sci Angler folks, and the famous and not so famous world class anglers, and many others might just show up eating "Q" and drinking sweet tea!

After getting home from fishing you could watch Lefty & Flip catching albies on TV with Earnhardt, Andy Mill catching some with Sam Sellers (Andy hooked and actually fought a shrimp boat and the editors actually left it in the show), The Reel Guys caught enough fish to do 2 shows and experienced the best bite ever (from the buoy chain to the high rise between MHC & Beaufort), and if you didn't have cable you could see article after article with familiar faces and the Lighthouse with albies being the star of SWS, FFSW, FFISW, and Lord knows how many other magazines!

Those were the times that names like Nashville, Presidential Point (from Bush 1's trips down), The Pond, Lee's World,and others were born, when the radio was never quiet and some Yankees would call out to buddies, "go to the Shrewsberry Rock Channel" (guess they thought were were dumb as we sounded, Hell, maybe we were but we learned damnably quick).

The Cape Lookout Fly Fishers was formed and now rivals any fly club in the world, bar none, although we had a different name in the beginning.

The nostalgia crowd that are still fishing are a cool ( OMG, what a dated word) group that have continued to visit the Island, Hell, some of us moved here, and the ones still walking/talking and fishing are like fine wine (I may be an exception as I seem to have gone more vinegary) and we now toss "snot flies" after the first NE blow in August for "designer albies", catch 'cores in May & June, use 6wts til big fish rip em outta hands, rarely use a 9 or 10wt except for big red drum or AJs, get to fish more when the conditions are right and not just weekends or vacations, and always cherish a sunrise passing Bird Island headed to Bardens & the Cape while taking a look behind to see if folks we know aren't heading out anymore might be looking over our shoulders and smiling! ;)

To take a line from a great Mel Gibson movie and change it just a tid ------ We Were Albie Fishermen Once, and Young! :)

Good Fishing!!!

PS Sorry for the long post, but once I got started it was hard to stop with memory overloads!

Postby peterzasa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

A great read SOBX! Although I never met you I spent many sunsets sitting on the 3rd floor of Calico’s, ran east and all over heck and back with Captain Jack, and even broke a T&T 10 weight off the side of his boat. I watch Lefty make awesome casts from a boat and was impressed with Popovic as he stood patiently on the spit watching us nuts chase fish left and right. I still come down every year but now mostly as a “Sand Person” as Brian kindly refers to us. Needless to say I found your write-up very nostalgic!

Postby kendalloz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:01 pm

That was a swell read!

Postby bhorsley » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:17 pm

great memories -- but i am looking forward to ones i am going to make tomorrow :D

great read Chuck --thanks
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby SOBX » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 pm

You cannot embrace the future til you let go of the past, both take both hands to hold onto! ;)

Remember the past, but embrace the future, whether it is tomorrow, next week or next decade!!! ;)

Good Fishing!!!

PS Calico Jacks only had two floors, maybe I should have had what you were drinking! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by SOBX on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tarponfan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:40 pm

I agree guys. I love this one - I've seen it attributed to Charles Kuralt.

"Larger even than my memories is my anticipation of rivers yet fished." --Charles Kuralt

So lets go get 'em.

John

Postby SOBX » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Charles Kuralt was as he said many times, "from the Old North State" and was a wordsmith second to very few, although Hemmingway, Ruark, Faulkner, and even Dickey (of Deliverance fame) and Babcock (the good PhD from USC that elevated "birds", which most that have appreciated the quivering back half of a setter or pointer with English in front of their breed, knew as bobwhite quail) come to mind quickly.

Ruark was another from the Old North State, and Lord knows Nash Buckingham could have claimed all the Southern states as home, but in the year of our Lord 2013, to put a few paragraphs together and make folks remember something and smile does more than make me happy ------ my thanks to all y'all, and Em you know what that is now so no footnotes . :D

Good Fishing!!!
Last edited by SOBX on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby scarter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 am

"Right, right, right, right, right"...*

* Emerson Cannon

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" You can mow the grass if you want to, and you'd better want to.."
Dad

Next

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout