Moderator Control Panel ]

Baitballs, Big Fish & Jaws

Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout

Baitballs, Big Fish & Jaws

Postby SOBX » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Won't steal Knotcase's or Smoot's amazing day report, so treat this as a primer to the real deal that I'm sure will come a little later! ;)

With the winds forecast to kick up (and they did) Hubert Parrot and I left the jetty and headed west to investigate some reports of albies off the buoy chain and then further west to find some buddies on some National Geographic quality fishing.

Jaws getting air just like on television, blacktips from 4ft to huge on baitballs with 15 to 20lb false albacore and 4ft needlefish and everything from the bay anchovies to the albies & needles was fair game.

This is a high teens albie,

compared to some of the fish from weeks past and even yesterday off the Trawler Buoy ---- see a difference? ;)

Smoot Carter had a baitball camp out under his 23ft Jones Bros and let me and Hubert pick, pluck and poach a few in between getting bit off by sharks, bending hooks, busting leaders, and breaking rods (Hubert and one of Smoot's buddies, the rod gods allowed me to come home with the same number of 4 piece rods I left the dock with while turning others into 5 and 6 piece sticks)!

Terrible pic, but the fish on the right was over 20 and had been attacked by a shark on the way to the boat, didn't see it when I took the pic, but looks like Hubert's fish may have had a slight run in with a junior jaws too.

Even though most now use 8 & 9wts for albies, fish like those above helped to bestow upon Harkers Island and the surrounding waters a quote by a guide from years back that some of the older boys and gals will remember ----- "Harkers is where 10wts go to die", nobody was arguing that today! ;)

It was a fine long half day, and even the boys with extra pieces of rods came to the dock "all smiles" since they saw all the fly line and most of the backing they owned today and stretched both to the limits!!! :D

Re: Baitballs, Big Fish & Jaws

Postby kendalloz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:50 pm

:o :shock: WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Landlocked » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:00 pm

YES!!!!!!

Postby scarter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 am

Heading out in a few, but Chuck's post really sums it, along with lots of other catching that was 1-1 1/2 hours with a big wad of rather large spearing (5-6") camped out underneath my hull...I think I went 7 or 8 of those buffalos by dapping 3 feet of tippet, and, ZOOM! Quite a day...2 sticks went home to their Maker... :) :) :) Dave Corddry and Stuart Lee (Blue Heron and No Bananas) were my guests, there were boga'ed fish from 15 to right at 20. Grateful for a world-class day!
" You can mow the grass if you want to, and you'd better want to.."
Dad

Postby KnotCase » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:25 am

Emerson (Lunch Bucket) Cannon and Gary Freed fished with me Sunday, and we were lucky enough to find the toads eating big bait off Atlantic Beach. First we saw spinner sharks jumping, and then the albies started coming up for us. Before the fleet arrived we were lucky enough for E to land a 15 pounder while Gary and I each fed a big albie to the sharks. Before the morning was over, we had triples on twice :o but each time at least one came unhooked (or was eaten).

In the afternoon, the sun came up along with the wind, and we found some fish to eat our flies in the hook.

Great day on the water with good friends!

A Shark left his mark on this toad:
Baldy (2 of 8).jpg

Baldy (8 of 8).jpg

Baldy (4 of 8).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby KnotCase » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:27 am

More
Baldy (1 of 8).jpg
Baldy (3 of 8).jpg

Someone needs to get busy cleaning that mess up:
Baldy (5 of 8).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby SOBX » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am

:D :D :D :D :D I'd do more, but 5 is the limit on emoticons!

Good Fishing!!!

Postby Emerson » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:14 am

It was nothing short of fantastically magnificent !!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Hugh (Poachy Boy) for your hospitality ...we had a blast! :D :D
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby AMJohnston » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 am

Em: It ain't poaching if its your boat....

Postby JSnipes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am

blood bath... I love it!

Next

Return to Morehead City - Atlantic Beach - Harkers - Cape Lookout