Moderator Control Panel ]

Thoughs on Tying Materials

General Fly Tying Information

Thoughs on Tying Materials

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:30 am

Thoughts on Tying Materials

I was able to recently obtain some materials, maybe you all can think of use/patterns for some of them.
2 - 12" x 12" sheets of 1/4" cork board, Like for bulletin boards. Hmmm. (any suggestions) Can make a bunch of poppers with that. cut strips glue them together to build some height and then cut them into shape maybe.
???

now this is a little tougher.

Not sure if you all know of this, but its .015 guage (mm) polyethene plastic sheets they are 8.5" x11", natural (like milk jug) They are used by "Professional People" for report covers/folders etc.
I do know they glue well with superglue and can be cut down easily with scissors or razor knife was thinking in things like fins or wings or things of that nature it really light stuff. permanent markers hold color well.
any suggestions there?
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Re: Thoughs on Tying Materials

Postby Emerson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 am

I think that water will seep in the cork...you need to use closed cell stuff for poppers. Get an old crab pot float to make poppers.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby mb82 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:04 am

Another option for the cork is to glue it to the wall( or attach it somehow) above your tieing area, and use it to hold flys when you have finished.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby toddkfly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am

I have to dig around for a popper I did out of a cork from a nice bottle of Bordeaux. The thin cork is tough as it is porous. The glue adds weight as well. Interested to see what you come up with.

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:08 pm

I was thinking of cutting it to shape and then putting some sort of sealer like poly urethane or something over it to seal it would keep it from absorbing too much water.
but thanks for the ideas. keep them coming.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby flyinby » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:00 pm

maybe use the plastic as a base for a spoonfly or a lip on a plug type fly......or use it under your vise to mix epoxy, catch drips, etc...

Return to General