Moderator Control Panel ]

vise help

General Fly Tying Information

vise help

Postby hooknladder » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 pm

I have always used the most inexpensive vise known to man . It came with a kit I bought at least 10 years ago. Well I finally got a rotary vise on ebay and it came with what I imagine is a holder for your bobbin but I am not sure where it hooks on to. When you stop laughing please help this poor dumb fireman

Re: vise help

Postby BionicSenior » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:59 am

Mine attaches to the vise post and swings away when I don't need it. If the other end of the bobbin holder has a round fitting with a screw on it the fitting should be the same diameter (3/8 inch would be standard) as the post that holds the vise. The screw would be used to tighten the bobbin holder at the correct height in line with the end of your vise jaws. If I am wrong please post a picture and maybe then we can help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby hooknladder » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:21 pm

That is where I thought it would go . Do you find that it gets in the way. Is it worth putting on.

Postby Emerson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:55 pm

It depends on the person. My first vise never had one so it took some getting use to. If you do a lot of fresh water tying..it is great. You can dub easily and rib your nymphs easily. I soon as I am finished, I just knock it out of the way and it flies around..no problem. I have not used it on salt water tying as much if at all!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby BionicSenior » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 am

I agree with Emerson. I have it on and I leave it mostly to the back. But, I do use it on occasion. Its handy to keep the bobbin out of the way when you are palmering hackle, dubbing bodies, etc., with a rotary vise. But, sometimes I forget to half hitch the thread and ...well you know, the thread will unravel. :oops:
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Return to General