Moderator Control Panel ]

Old Sailfish poppers never die......they just fade away..

General Fly Tying Information

Old Sailfish poppers never die......they just fade away..

Postby Emerson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Into PIKE POPPERS!!!!

I have used old sailfish poppers for amberjacks....they worked like a charm..Brian was skeptical at first (surprise :lol: ) but came around rapidly with the dramatic eats! That was easy...just use the same leader and have an 11 or 12 weight throw fly and leader...easy..same hooks.....no teeth in amberjacks to cut through the leader ...
IMG_0227.jpg

Had some of these 'hanging' around. Last year while pike fishing I brought a few, with the same idea. I showed the guide..he looked more surprised than Brian did when I tried these. Now the pike guide had never seen the ocean let alone sailfish poppers. :o The pops these 3/4" cupped faced boiler make is incredible in a flat fresh water lake. Pike come from miles!

Now last year I only had one pike eat but they were not eating any top water flies at all. I just wanted the check..got one on a sailfish popper..this year will be different. Problem is some modification is necessary...in leader and hooks. The saltwater model has a huge leader with 80 lb shocker going to a tandem hook with trailer hook using wire wrapped to lead hook. In Alaska no tandem hook set allowed. Also, pike having 702..(honest number) of teeth, the mono is no good. So....I made a wire leader through the popper and looped onto a 7/0 upturned eye trailer....the same we had used in Costa Rica for sails. Super glued all connections and Sally Hansoned (new word) the glue to keep it smooth and non-sticky as well as to preserve the water proofing.
IMG_0232.JPG

Now...this cupped popper will go into the freshwater monster world and hopefully provide some more fun!
IMG_0233.jpg

Something to do when it is cold, snowy and windy! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Old Sailfish poppers never die......they just fade away.

Postby Sharpefly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Looks good Em they sure should move some water.

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 am

I can't wait to see Scott's expression when you pull that out.

Postby BlueHeron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

Many folks have been :o at things emerson has pulled out over the years.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby BlueHeron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:04 am

E - bring it (the fly, I mean) to Guat. and break it in on a sail, then try for pike on the same fly.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby meatstick » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 pm

For some reason this conversation reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles ... what Cleavon Little says before reaching for his prepared speech.

:lol:

Return to General