Moderator Control Panel ]

Tying with Big Fly Fiber

General Fly Tying Information

Tying with Big Fly Fiber

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm

I was sitting at the vice the other day looking at a hank of BFF and I realized I couldn't really figure out how to tie with this stuff. Are you supposed to tie in on the crinkly end (either as it comes out of the bag or after having trimmed the crinkly part) and then let the straight part hang back (perhaps after trimming it down)? That seems like it will generate either (1) a really big fly (duh, given the name) or (2) a lot of wastage. Or are you supposed to tie in at the point where the crinkle turns straight with trimming again?
I'm sure I'm just missing something here and have not found a video online to help me.
Advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by AMJohnston on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tying with Big Fly Fiber

Postby kendalloz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Sorry...have not used it.

Postby Emerson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Andy,
It seems to make sense to tie in the crinkly part near the eye...this will give body bulk but not weight up front. I might tie it in facing forward then wrap it back around the eye trying to make the fiber go 360 degrees around the circumference of the hook shank. Then the more thin part will go past the hook bend to give the natural slender fish profile the further it goes back. Therefore, the further it gets away from the eye, smaller it gets.

Now this is just me thinking...not using it ever myself.

here is an example:
http://www.stripersonline.com/t/787456/ ... y-muddlers

I could not find the actual tying either
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Siessmack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm

I've tied some musky flies with this stuff. Tie the crinkly end in first. I put a big collar of EP brush as the head and that thing really pushes some water

Return to General