Moderator Control Panel ]

Interesting (Accidental) Chemistry Experiment

General Fly Tying Information

Interesting (Accidental) Chemistry Experiment

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm

I was tying some pike flies the other day and got interupted in the middle of one fly. The fly has a spun deerhair head and I had been using Crazy Glue on the thread wraps to give the fly durability.
When I started to complete the fly a couple of days later, I absent-mindedly picked up Loon's Hard as Hull to further glue the thread wraps. When I applied the Hard as Hull product, there was a chemical reaction between the crazy glue and the Hard as Hull because the fly started to smoke and some of the deer hair disintegrated.
I won't do that again.
Anyone former or current chemists out there know what caused the reaction ?

Re: Interesting (Accidental) Chemistry Experiment

Postby bhorsley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Ethel methyl bad shit
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Just Googled that. It seems to react to a number of items...I saw a story of a girl who severely burned her leg gluing her pants.

It seems to burn, heat up but I wonder if it could cause a combustion or a fire?

Good info .....I was super gluing some portions of flies and using Hoof Lacquer on the other parts....sometimes on top..nothing happened ...that I knew of but???

Thanks for the caution!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Zapp a Gap accelerator will make the stuff hot enough to burn you badly
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Junebug » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 pm

As a model airplane builder, I have been using the "Super glues" since around 1979. The first product I remember using, and the name became somewhat generic for the product, was called HOT STUFF. When gluing two pieces of balsa together it would often give off a puff of smoke. (It still does) The curing reaction of the thin stuff can be very fast, and yes, it can get hot enough to burn you. The smoke is VERY unpleasant if it gets in your eyes. I have dropped a few drops on my leg and as soon as it hits your jeans, it goes off.

I have also used it occasionally on my flies, but have not tried to put the finger nail product over it. Hmmm....

JuneBug

Postby meatstick » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Unreal ... Hoof Lacquer ? Whippy-stick people will try anything.

How bout some nitroglycerin ? :roll:

I guess it depends on the species you are tying flies for. In Andy's case I can understand wanting to make a pike/musky fly more durable ... but Brian just had a spaniard chew thru 50 lb fluoro, so ya might just hit the head-wraps with some Sally Hansen's and be done with it.

Right about now I'd look forward to a few bite-offs. Beats the hell out of
typing.

Return to General