Moderator Control Panel ]

clear goo vs. tufflye

General Fly Tying Information

clear goo vs. tufflye

Postby AMJohnston » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:29 pm

These seem to be the two most prominent names in the new epoxy subsitiutes that harden quickly with UV light. Anyone know of any meaningful diiferences between the two?
In either case, the "flashlights" used to cure the liquid and the liquid itself are pretty pricey--anyone know why ? Is it woth the added cost (vs. say epoxy)?
More generally, does anyone use iether of these products regularly? Any tips for using them?

Re: clear goo vs. tufflye

Postby Emerson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Andy,
I have never used the Tufflye but have used a ton of GOO. The major reason a lot of us have used Goo is that it was developed by a local guy from NC. I saw it first at Tie Fest a number of years ago. I couldn't believe it.....put it on.....hold the light to it for maybe 7 seconds and it was hard. It was not being sold commercially at that time but was was close. I got hold of some and was sold. No waiting and turning on a wheel, no yellowing, very easy to use. They kept working with the chemicals and got it in a few different products...thin, thick, flexible etc. It is great for lots of applications. I can be better than epoxy, especially when it comes to small flies. I have not found it good for say coating an entire crease fly. It does not get as hard as epoxy...just me, maybe others have done something differently.
Before it was around, I tried the stuff from Loon that you used for knots.....it worked in the direct sun. My problem of living in the woods forced me to go and find an open area to cure all of my flies. I tried some stuff that surfers use for instantly fixing their boards...sun activated. All worked but........ pain. With Goo and the large ligh, the way you apply...super easier with the Goo.
I was told that Tufflye and Goo lights use different wavelengths.....I do not know if that is fact.

The light is a one time purchase. I have gone through probably 20 or more tubes of Goo. Now it takes 3 AAA batteries but it lasts fairly long.

Goo is great for plugging holes. I have used it on wood where there was a drilled hole....instantaneously...filled...sand a bit..paint...gone.

For making bass poppers...a bit of Goo to plug the hole made from the cut for the hook....a little extra Goo...I use an emory board..get it smooth...paint and the bottom looks like it was made by someone who knew what they were doing.

Goo can hold things together a bit but nothing like epoxy.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Andy, I was hesitant to try this stuff till I went to the fly show in Raleigh last year and watched the Clear Cure guys at work. Like anything it can take some practice to get it right. The good is you can squirt it on rotate the fly till the shape is correct then shine the light and lock in the shape. It does not yellow. The less than good is the price and it can remain tacky. You can eliminate the tacky with a coat (sometimes 2) of hard-as-nails. Do not worry about the cost....an intro kit is the cost of 2 -3 packs of epoxy.

To get the same clear non-yellowing coat in epoxy takes 30-minute epoxy which is indeed stronger but takes 30-minutes on the reel. More difficult to shape. With this you can rotate, light, then coat with clear nail polish.

It is not something I use a lot (Basic flies like Clousers catch a lot of fish so I go simple whenever possible!) but on the other hand it has likely replaced epoxy for me. Easier to use.

Hope this helps.

Postby Cutter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

I love CCG. Build your fly, Light coat of goo, shape and hit with the light. Then fill in with more Goo. 45 second surfcandy for albies. I somewhat agree with E about crease flies. Even the Flex is not as good as epoxy and too expensive to coat the fly, but works great to seal the front gap and add bond to the hook. I have not used Tuff, or replaced epoxy, but would hate to tie without Goo.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby toddkfly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 pm

I have had great success with CCG ever since I made the decision to migrate away from epoxy where applicable. One of things about the CCG that I have been really impressed by is how they take feedback from people who use their product and apply that information in their new product development (flex, tack free etc.). I think CCG has a product now for just about anyone who was on the fence about making the change from epoxy and for almost any situation. One very important thing to consider when using any lit acrylic product be it CCG or TF, is that the material has to be exposed to the light. If the goo is blocked by anything (hair, foam, etc), the light will not hit it and therefore will not set up. Epoxy doesn't have this problem since it is not light dependent. Quick note on epoxy-all epoxy will yellow over time-period. Some more so than others and some faster than others. I have 7-10 different types of 2-part epoxy around my shop and each of the hardners have a yellow tint. Any exposure to UV light will increase the rate for this. Take an epoxied fly and stick it on your dashboard of your car. Do the same for a CCG or TF fly. Depending on where you are, see how long it takes for the epoxy fly to yellow. Epoxy still has it's niches on the bench but the CCG has replaced about 85-90% of what is used to use epoxy for.

Postby Junebug » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 pm

I have tried the clear Cure Goo and it's pretty good stuff. Being cheap as I am, I first tried a product Reo was selling for use on knots. Probably the same as mentioned above. For the flashlight, I found one on EBay for less than $10.00. It worked just fine on the stuff. I took my find to a club meeting (VCFA) and our chief tying instructor, a pro, said he didn't think my light would work on the CCG. It did set it up just as well. In fact, the lights looked exactly alike.

Is there a different wavelength? I don't really know. I do know the cheap light has been working for me jsut fine on both products. FWIW, the Reo product I bought at Bass Pro is no longer available.

JuneBug

Postby owlowl019 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 am

I have long thought why they are so expensive ..

Postby bhorsley » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:28 am

clear cure goo is no more --gone
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 am

My clear goo always remained tacky. I had to coat it with clear nail polish to fix that. I pretty much quit using it anyway....

Postby bhorsley » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 am

Clear Cure Goo Hydro is thin and it dried tack free --but from what I have gathered CCG is no more
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to General