Moderator Control Panel ]

Gar Fly Ideas?

Freshwater Fly Tying

Gar Fly Ideas?

Postby Piscator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 am

Anyone else ever go for Gar? We've got a good number of longnose here on the Neuse in Raleigh and in a couple other spots. Has anyone found any good designs for gar flies? I was shown the simple d-ring with doubled nylon rope. I've been experimenting with alterations and additions: added a little red krystal flash at the throat, etc. But nothing too fancy, as the long nylon can be a hassle around other materials. Or perhaps colors, has anyone tried nylon in colors other than white and had any success?

Re: Gar Fly Ideas?

Postby mb82 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:15 pm

A buddy of mine swears by Pink rope. He take white rope and colors it pink with red marker. Personally I have wanted to target them but never really have.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Piscator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Hmmm, i'd hate to saddle a fish with a needless death sentence though. :( True the rope can get quite tangled in the teeth, but I will not fish em if I forgot my hemostats. Once exhausted i've always been able to extract the fly, it just takes patience, and a little time. Luckily the modified swim bladder allows gar to handle the exposure to air with no ill effects.

Granted i've only caught longnose, not alligator gar, but i'd assume the more numerous teeth on a longnose make up in difficulty for size and agressiveness in alligators. So I don't see why they shouldn't always be able to be released in a manner that allows them to continue unhurt.

mb82, I had been thinking color was what i should focus on first. Pink sounds intriguing, i'll give it a go. I wonder if black would be productive? The water in the area is far from clear. I've also read that gar can sometimes be quite active in twilight. Both indicators, i would think, that black would be useful to try.

I don't have a picture of a large longnose here on the Neuse, but here's a medium one.

Postby meatstick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:12 am

Any chance we might get a look at that fly prior it being chomped ?
Last edited by meatstick on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Piscator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:44 am

I've never liked the big clonking ring (the kind off your keychain) for the head, but the weight IS needed, and by the time you're throwing a half foot of water soaked nylon around, the ring isn't the most noticeable hassle. I havn't found a good type of ring (D ring perhaps?) to replace it, though I havn't looked terribly hard either.

*disclaimer: only go Gar fishing if you take some form of hemostats or pliers and are willing to be patient in working the fly out of sharp teeth. It just takes patience. Usually takes me 5 minutes or less. I'd hate to contribute to the needless killing of any fish.

Postby meatstick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Great !! After all these years ... now I get it. Kind of like I envisioned the fly ... very "Deceiver" looking (baitfish). I have only caught one longnose, but on a clouser. Hook-point just happened to find a sweet spot.

Thanks for the pic ... always worth a thousand words.

Return to Freshwater