Moderator Control Panel ]

Dragonfly

Freshwater Fly Tying

Dragonfly

Postby teachrtec » Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 pm

Hook: #10 Fine Wire Scud
Tail: Deer hair and peacock hurl. Wrapped together over a bodkin or needle. Coated with Sally Hansen.
Abdomem: Peacock hurl and brown closed cell foam.
Wing: Blue clear wrapping mat'l
Eyes: Mono eyes
Legs: Black round rubber

What do you all think? Will it catch a fish?

Re: Dragonfly

Postby mb82 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Yep that will work
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Cutter » Sun May 31, 2009 8:58 am

Cool.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby TLT » Sun May 31, 2009 7:17 pm

When I lived up in Northern VA., we were only 45 minutes from teh South Fork of the Shenandoah River. I love that place. The smallies would attack blue damsels. leaping out of the water for them. We tied blue damsel gurglers and tore them up. Here is the recipe:

Hook: Bass Hook #10

Tail: A blue Sili Leg folded and twisted so that it knots like the rubber band balsa airplanes in the late sixties. Remember them, Emerson?

Body: Blue Tinsel or Diamond Braid

Shell Back: Gurgler style, blue foam

Eyes: Black Mono Eyes

Wing: Grey Z-lon

Postby bhorsley » Sun May 31, 2009 8:28 pm

you mean these guys--we had a hatch today about 20 million of them

growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby TLT » Sun May 31, 2009 9:17 pm

Those would be they.

Postby Emerson » Sun May 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Yes Tom, I remember them..the rubber band propeller type and just plain ole balsa...
Neat pics of the real deal!

I have tried these for smallmouths as well....they do work...Mine were too fragile or I was too rough. The dragon flies in Maine seem to deposit their eggs from around 12:30 to 2 pm..game on with dancing dragon flies and smallmouths going nuts...loike Tom said..jumping out of the water for them!

We have found that a sneaky pete seems to work the best..it last long, easy to cast...Just put it near a fish..let it sit...a small twitch to get the legs moving and then either a huge hit or maybe just a small suck...strip and fun begins..

The older models worked great but in the last few years the hooks have straightened out if you had a decent fish...So now we make our own with big fat strong hooks!!! 8-)
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby TLT » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Agreed on the Sneakey's. I used to custom order light blue ones from Gaines. Harry Murray sells a light blue slider that is excellent.

Em, I wasn't trying to date you :roll: . I knew that you had those planes as a boy; I did. I loved to watch take off from the ground.

Postby woody » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:21 am

Libellula!
beautiful fly
We learned the spanish spelling and pronunciation for dragon fly when we were in Tortugara, Costa Rica fishing for large tarpon. My wife and I were the only non spanish speaking people in the area. We were there for four days and we are not really sure what we said to people nor what they said to us, but we had so much fun with our new friends from Spain, and parts of South America trying to learn new ways to communicate.
My guide 'Primo' did speake a few words of english but they were usually words that you do not want to hear as you missed a shot at a nice tarpon! ( despite my bungling, I did manage to catch 5 up to 125 lbs)

Very nice fly for my mountain trout adventures. Thanks for the receipe
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby teachrtec » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 pm

I have been fishing the last couple of weeks a version of the Stealth bomber. I added large mono eyes to the original pattern. The tail is krystal flash and marabou. Give a pretty nice profile when wet.

Caught a lot of fish on our farm pond with it.

The pattern I post originally was for the larger nearby rivers. They have pretty much stayed blown out so far. Drought to flood.

Return to Freshwater