Moderator Control Panel ]

Trico Tying time

Freshwater Fly Tying

Trico Tying time

Postby Emerson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:46 pm

It is time to restock my tricos. These guys hatch in PA depending upon the stream from June 20th or so until a frost stops them. The first few days of the hatching season are by a landslide the best! I get on the stream just before sunrise and they are starting. Not being bothered by that work thing has made this hatch work! It is all over by 10:30 am!

Here is what I use from sunrise until 9 am...a #26 all black.
IMGP3016.jpg

This is tied, Al Miller style with the hackle near the bend...we have found this way to be best..it imitates both dun and spinner. Your 7X tippet imitates the tail.

Around 9 to 9:30, I switch over to the female..jump up to a size #24 black and white.
IMGP3012.jpg

Again, this is the style originated by Al Miller of the Allentown, PA area....great pattern.

I will use the traditional spent wings now as well..here is a #24 B & W
IMGP3018.jpg

This hatch in PA can be awesome...the swarms are so intense the first week that I have had to cover my mouth to keep the bugs out of my mouth. When the spinners fall, the water can be covered with spent tricos.

Just tied this new pattern by Jason Klass called the traffic jam..anyone ever use it? It seems intersting..a bunch of females all together tied on a #14 dry fly hook. Cannot wait to try it..only need to wait 6 1/2 months!
IMGP3011.jpg

These numbers...#26, #24 are meaningless unless you see a comparison. Here is the fly that SOBX is using to get those drum and speckled and gray trout. It is an albie fly tied on a size #4 hook. This fly is smaller compared to other salt flies! The 2 little things are the #24 and #26.
IMGP3028.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Trico Tying time

Postby mb82 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:40 pm

24,26? See this is why I am not a freshwater trout fisherman. I at 28 can't see those flys. Heck at 16 I couldn't see them.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby meatstick » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:07 pm

The tiny flies can be used in saltwater.

Mummichogs will gobble them.

But the hook points rust off B4 lunch. ;)

Postby hh65cdr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:11 pm

John. What pattern would you throw to catch the mummichog?
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby meatstick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:50 am

Tracy, a # 24 hook ... tail is two strands of pearl krystal flash, trimmed just past the bend. The body is thin white thread, tapered to be larger toward the back end. I put a eye dot on each side with black "gel" writing pen. In the past I have coated them with epoxy and I wipe off all excess glue... just a shiny coating.

Somewhere I have a pic of a spearing (silverside) caught on a larger # 18 version ... the size 24 works betta on bull minnows (mummichogs) ... they have very tiny mouth's.
I catch them in skinny water at the marsh edge. Yeh, sight-fishing.

I experimented with this yrs ago ... just to see how "predatory" mummichogs were. Well, they chase down food like most other fish.

I'll get a pic of a fly-caught mummi next season.

An ultra-mini-micro fly will catch all kinds of small SW species. Leader material has gotta be like 7X just to get it thru the hook eye. I use a 3 turn uni-knot to attach.

Sarah once said: "John, what in the world are you doing ? You need to see some backing !!". :lol:

Postby Cutter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:30 pm

I spend my days sewing stuff I can barely see. Give me 3/0 Gami in my spare time :D Nice job E. How long does it take to tie one of those things? And how long to tie it on the tippet?
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Emerson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:44 pm

The small ones can de done in about 5 min - 8 min each..not hard. I use on the forehead magnifiers. Makes it easier to see the wrapping of the thread. Sometimes it takes me longer to thread the hook :lol:

With this weather...doing this is a fun activity... :D
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby toddkfly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Lilke that traffic jam bug. Hope it gets mauled by a monster brown. We used to tie double trico patterns quite a bit on the upper Delaware. Work good down here in Mossy as well. Gotta love switching to the small hooks after tying saltwater bugs most of the year. Always good for bending at least one of those #24's, 26's straight down. I've got touch like a blacksmith!!

Postby BlueHeron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:46 am

E
nice work
thanks for th eeducatin.

with the magnifiers - do you ever get scared when one ofyour fingers looms into view?
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Cutter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am

I am resisting the urge to comment..... :twisted:
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Next

Return to Freshwater