Moderator Control Panel ]

Help Please/Dubbing Loop

Saltwater Fly Tying

Help Please/Dubbing Loop

Postby AMJohnston » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm

My other post got hijacked so I thought I'd try again.
The fellow I mentioned in my post on tying with racoon strips says that to reduce the weight of his flies, instead of using strips for the head of the fly, he cuts the racoon hair off the hide and then takes the hair and puts it in a dubbing loop that he then wraps around the head. (See link for what the finished product looks like. http://pikeflyfishingarticles.blogspot. ... unnys.html)
I can't for the life of me figure out how to disperse the clipped hair evenly along the loop and, although Im no expert in the whole dubbing thing, I'm not sure I have seen a dubbing loop used in this way.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me on how to pull this off?

Re: Help Please/Dubbing Loop

Postby Emerson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Andy,
Here is a long video but it shows how to make the dubbing loop or as he calls it a dubbing brush. You should use some dubbing wax...this helps to keep the fur lined up in the loop. You actually spread the hair out in a loop ...twist the loop then wrap it on the hook. In this video, he used wire....probably you would use just your tying thread. I typically use mono to do this or flat waxed nylon...you need something tough. Wire works well as you probably want something that looks ugly!

http://www.theweeklyfly.com/index.php/T ... /sasquatch

Just pay attention to when he does the loop..he calls it a dubbing brush..it happens at 8:45 into the video...

Not to hijack this thread but I have tied this fly and have down well on smallmouths!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby toddkfly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:01 pm

I know some guys who tie tarpon toads that clip bunny hair off a strip vs. using the cross cut strip which has the hide and adds bulk. For what you are trying to do, there is a handy little tool that holds the loop you form with the thread and then allows you to pack the hair inside. Spin it and then wrap up the shank. Wax helps hold things in better as well. Like that fly Em.

Postby meatstick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 pm

.Just putting this thread back on top.

Postby mb82 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 pm

The tool that I am thinking would be exactly what you need here is called a Petijean Magic tool. A few years ago I had one of Petijean's buddies demonstrate how to use the tool for me. Think super wide cloths pin. You set the hair evenly across it clamp down then put hair into loop and pull the loop tight and release the tool. Yeah it was more complicated then that but that's the basics. His did his loop out of the thread.

http://www.petitjean.com/eng/MagicTool/default.asp
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 pm

From looking at the pike fly, it does not look as though the tier uses the "dubbing brush" approach. Any ideas how the hair stays trapped in the loop?

Postby Emerson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Andy,
It stays in the same way as the brush....spread it out...and use the wax. The key is not to have too much hair..it will fall out. With your dubbing loop....put a set of hackle pliers on the top of the loop...really the bottom...this will keep the loop taught. Add a bit at a time then spin the loop...less hair is best!

Just looked at the fly...Even though he does not want to do this.......if the raccoon can be cut crosscut method so that the hair goes perpendicular to the fly...you can just wrap it around the head even though he says it will be heavy.....just have the strip cut thin. Even if it is cut zonker strip way(cut so it flows back down the skin)...you can wrap the skin portion around the hook while forcing the hair back toward the tail. We do that for all of our Alaska flies...you can sling them.

That fly looks like a Bob Pop deertail deceiver...that should work as well! The bucktail would be much easier to work with.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby AMJohnston » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks Em. I do buy whole rabbit pelts so that I can cut my own cross cut strips but I haven't found cross cut racoon strips or full pelts.

Postby GreenWeenieWizard » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 am

depending on the type of thread you use, you may not even need a dubbing loop. Check your thread to see if it is a "braided" or "twisted" type. If so, you can use a your needle to split the thread while it hangs from the hook shaft attached to the bobbin. insert dubbing into the split, and then twist the bobbin to twist the dubbing into the thread. wind the dubbing or other material onto the hook shank...

Hope that helps!

I make a lot of flies for WV with a "soft hackle" type collar made from rabbit strips... I use that technique all the time. It eliminates the need for a dubbing tool, plus it also cuts down on the amount of thread going around the hook shank. Using this technique, there is no need to "tie-in" the loop because it is the main line!

Postby robbcoats » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I would use a wire brush from stainless.you do not want to overload the brush with material but if you use a zonker strip and lay it along the wire you should be fine.Try making 6 inch brushes 1st then when you get the knack move up to longer lengths.The more materials you use the more twist you have to put in the brush then you run the risk of snapping the wire in too.I use an old sewing machine motor to build mine .

Next

Return to Saltwater