Moderator Control Panel ]

do you use glue/cement when tying?

Saltwater Fly Tying

do you use glue/cement when tying?

Postby UpstateAngler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 am

Just wondering what different folks like when tying? I use Hard as Hull for thread and setting dumbbell eyes, and Clear-Cure for epoxy-type stuff.

Re: do you use glue/cement when tying?

Postby bhorsley » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:19 pm

never bother glueing my dumbbell eyes on--but use Clear Cure Goo --Hydro for coating all thread on heads instead of head cement
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 pm

I use the cheap super glue bottles (not tubes) from Dollar Store sometimes while tying. You can get a two-pack for a buck. There is not a lot of glue in the bottles but they work.

Sometimes I use hard-as-nails as a finish/top glue.

I use clear cure goo if I need an epoxy-like head but I still wish it would dry hard and not tacky. It is better than epoxy but not perfect.

Postby Emerson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 am

It depends on which type of fish. If I am tying a shark fly...no glue at all...the flies are typically disposable as we do not like going in their yappers and retrieving!

If the fish is a tough customer as in strong and I really want to re-use the fly...I will I do what KO does......I get a super glue in a brush and use that for wraps, in the back, dumbbells etc. This would be for large 1/2 and and 1/2's.

I have tried lots of ways to use CCG, Epoxy, nail polish you name it on crease flies....mine turn out crummy no matter which I try. I have brushed epoxy..that seems to work best so I buy them. I want them to last and the better ones made by people that know more than me WORK great. The more I think about it ..it has nothing to do with the glue...the ones I buy are just flat out better by a light year than mine.

I am using a different type of popper now designed by Left Kreh. I use Epoxy painted on using a small piece of foam as a brush..it puts on a thin film and of epoxy. I will do maybe 6 or so at a time. A few coats..like 3 is great. Then I follow with a number of coats of Hoof Lacquer. It last fairly well. The edges still come off after a number of pops. I do ehe same for Wiggle Minnow. The lip seems to get blasted off no matter what I try.

On the real small albie flies......CCG is purrrrfect! It is tons easier to use that epoxy, and it does not yellow. Always follow up with a brush of Hoof Lacquer.....works great.

Blue fish, spanish...they eat so may flies that I just use older flies and think that they could be a one fish fly or maybe get 5 fish..just depends on where the fly is hooked.

I use to use Sally Hanson's clear...great stuff. Steve Silverio showed me this stuff called Hoof Lacquer..it is the stuff that horse people use on horse hoofs. It is shiny, clear, durable and the fluidity is high so it penetrates great! You can get it at nail places....like finger nail as opposed to #10 nails...ha ha.

For heads....if you try the CCG Hydro and it has a brush...you will be shocked as to how easy and well it works.Now you need to buy the Hydro and a light...neither is cheap but it works so.......

I know this is saltwater area but if you every go pike fishing...I glue every wrap with a super glue.....the flies now last for maybe 5-6 fish instead of 2! I tried CCG on the heads and the first fish scraped off that in seconds.

I will also use Epoxy or CCG on deer hair poppers...push the Epoxy or CCG in between the deer hair fibers then coat with hoof lacquer...they hold up for a bit longer than without any cement.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm

the stronger light works so much better with CCG the hydro drys non tacky --excellent results
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby NoBananas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 am

Em,
Where do you get that hoof lacquer?

Postby bhorsley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:14 am

probably does his toenails with it
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby NoBananas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:28 am

I looked for it in the aisle with the Amaretto, Kahlua and Drambuie but did not find it.

Postby Emerson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Ha ha ha

Steve Silverio told me to go to a store that sells nail polish ...I went..did not find it so I Googled 'Hoof Laquer" surprise...a bunch popped up.

I think I went on Amazon and got it from a place in CA...if I got so many it was shipped for free.

They sell it in quart cans in a horse shop..not one you buy ponies but a tack shop. But.....that is a bit too large. Nail shops have it. I just googled it and found this:

http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/geheh ... 7AodrnMABA

House of Beauty was just one of many......closer to what I might visit ha ha

You might use House of Nag...ha ha

I forgot which house I used but I got a dozen.....made it worth while for shipping. So here it is for a bit over $2.00 per bottle.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby NoBananas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Many thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it ........

Next

Return to Saltwater