Moderator Control Panel ]

Tungsten powder

Saltwater Fly Tying

Tungsten powder

Postby Cutter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 am

I did a little tying this weekend and was playing with weighted flies. I was not pleased with the fish skulls or cones I tried in Baja last year so I went back to an older technique: mixing tungsten powder into epoxy and making the fly heads with that. I get good results with it, but I don't see many other folks using it. Have you all found a better way or is this stuff just too messy for most to bother with?
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Re: Tungsten powder

Postby bhorsley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am

what i found with tungsten powder is it so much to make any difference --not worth the effort. I just improved my sinking lines --T-20 is ok and T-17 is ok --running lines make all the difference.
My hope is there will NEVER be a need for sinking lines again in Baja --just my hope ;)
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Cutter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am

If only the yellowfin would bust poppers on top :D I like my sushi too much to completely quit the dredging.

What running line are you using?
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby bhorsley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:00 am

mostly cutting up old lines. if you can find a Rio tropical running line they are the bomb but they quit making them several years back.
We have caught more than plenty with the RIO Leviathan 600 grain --last two years that have not been very thick
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Mark,
Some of the best tuna days have been fish that are busting on top..We were still using sinking but our 'new' sinking lines sink too fast. As Brian said..the 600 grain Leviathan was and still is superb. It dropped the fly down deep but more slowly and the running line is not as thin..easier to work with in my opinion. When the fish are real deep, the T-14's, 17's, and now 20's get there much faster and will get eaten first. But then you are still dredging from the get go.

When I see the tuna on top...I quickly reel in tons of line and only cast out 30-40 feet....sort of like the Jake method...all your line (30')
out and get a bite..less things to go wrong! More line on reel..less chances of Murphy's law to apply. :lol:

I do not think that last year was a good indicator of what was good or bad, deep as no one had great luck deep. When I was with Dave C...the larger tuna were busting on top....got one on....key word on....when fly was maybe 2 feet down. Way too much drag and too much line. My fault off! This year I will have my drag set a bunch lower.

The tuna will eat on top..sometimes. The barralette (sp) will eat on top. You certainly will not get as many as down deep but to see them coming up and attack the crease fly..knock it out of the water and then another one eat it was super neat. Petey M and I experienced that last year. So much better than to have them eat at 50 feet down..yuk! You will catch less but enjoy more!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby flyinby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Used nothing but 550 and 600 grain rios...leviathans and older deep sea version.. don't know if they make the latter any more...it kind of had a texture to the running line...made some noise whenyou stripped it...Didn't kink that bad either...

Postby bhorsley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 pm

think the first year emerson was with us we landed as a group 63 yft the first day --think i had 15 or 16 all on a 400 grain line and a 10 wt--was testing the TCX prototype
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

B...I had a Teeney 350 on the 10 weight,...the pullage actually separated my line..the red and black coating on the line was pulled off in 1 foot sections a couple of places all from being stretched so much! Later in the week, on another flurry, with the Leviathan I had 5 fish on in 5 straight casts...that was one major tuna day and week!

All this talk will force me to go back to the Leviathan this year..as Flyinby said..it didn't kink much either..how true!

The first time we ever used weighted flies for tuna was last year...on those flying fish colored flies...
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

yep will fish the leviathan 600 myself much easier to handle
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Cutter, I also do not like the skulls and cones. You may as well buy 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads and tie "flies" on them. I have a bottle of tungsten powder that mostly goes without use. Might try it in clear-cure one day for just a little weight. Like the others said it is almost easier to adjust fly sink depth with the line not the fly. If youz really wanna go down use the huge tungsten dumb bell eyes and coat them in tungsten powder epoxy or wrap lead wire on them and just roll cast it...don't try to keep it in the air! And tie with synthetics.

Next

Return to Saltwater