Moderator Control Panel ]

Marine worm flies ?

Saltwater Fly Tying

Marine worm flies ?

Postby meatstick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am

We have kicked this around before a bit., but take a look at this guy's concept (both foam and leather - foam is the previous blog entry).

Yes, they are tied with carp in mind, but could easily be modified for SW use on croakers and similar.

Notice the bath-tub test (video) on the foam version.

http://flycarpin.blogspot.com/2011/03/mctages-leather-head-stand-carp-worm.html

The wed wabbit stwip strikes again. Invest in wed wabbits.

Re: Marine worm flies ?

Postby kendalloz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks. I have some worm flies in the box kinda similar and have been in "hatches" (actually spawning events poor worms go out to have fun and get eaten...by fish and birds) and no bites on the worm fly. :?: :idea: :lol: :?

Postby meatstick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I have caught juvie croaker and spot on a regular san juan worm in the shallows (floating line) ... they would not leave it alone, but the hook point kept getting under the shells. I just thought the headstand type worm would be good in deeper areas where the adult fish hang.

Stripers are a different story ... the worm hatches produce so much food that a single fly will often be over-looked.

I was thinking about cheating and tying a strip of "Fish-Bites" to the shank. Ha !! :roll:

Postby TLT » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:13 pm

I really like the looks of that fly and I am going to try it this May when the hard heads come in. I think that it will work. Mustad makes a shrimp hook which is similar in shape to the scud hook. The smaller size tarpon hook wil also work too. Pretty simple and cool pattern. The red rabbit is the ticket.

Postby meatstick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:44 pm

When home and locals are listening, I have always called 'em hardhead too.

No joke, we used to fill a 30 gal. trash can with them from the stern of a 42' Matthews (1962). They got eaten, all of them. 6 ft bait-caster and Ambassador level-wind reel.
Bank sinker with single snelled # 4 hook above ... the hook had red beads above the knot and a tiny colorado blade (standard back in the old days). Dressed with bloodworm, which (back then) did not require a home equity loan to purchase.

We'd zig-zag over hard bottom and stare at the Lowrance "flasher" until we found 'em.

They were awesome fish back then and still are. On fly they are silver drum.

An 18" "hardhead" on fly deserves the name silver drum.

Postby TLT » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 pm

I love them.

Postby TLT » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Been thinking about the tie. Saw the foam version video. What do you think if you put a little dab of silicone on the end of the rabbit and glue a small black piece of foam on the hind side. It should get the rabbit tail to float upward. This pattern also has implications for strikers in NE and bones.

Postby kendalloz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Hmmmm. Might have to try a worm style for silver drum this summer. Have had pretty good success with silvers on small Clousers and Charlie-type patterns (cut short...short tails to prevent missed hits) so not sure if that will work with a worm or not???? There must be a lot of worms in the oyster reefs as we grow oysters behind the house and when we clean the bags they are FULL of worms!

Postby mb82 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 pm

kendalloz wrote:Hmmmm. Might have to try a worm style for silver drum this summer. Have had pretty good success with silvers on small Clousers and Charlie-type patterns (cut short...short tails to prevent missed hits) so not sure if that will work with a worm or not???? There must be a lot of worms in the oyster reefs as we grow oysters behind the house and when we clean the bags they are FULL of worms!

Great minds must think alike because I already have several flys tied up just for this reason. Just waiting till the time to throw them.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby meatstick » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Tom, since it's kind of a fresh concept ... the more people experimenting the better.
I've been thinking alone the same lines. Float the tail of the wabbit.

By "fresh concept" I mean a marine worm type fly fished on the bottom .. as opposed to one stripped thru a worm hatch near the surface, and for species that stay on/near the bottom.

Kendall, I have examined oyster bins up here... same thing, worms everywhere.

Left Coasters have been doing well with red wormy looking flies on yellowfin croaker
in the surf. Barred Surf Perch too.

Next

Return to Saltwater