Moderator Control Panel ]

VA Beach?

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Re: VA Beach?

Postby toddkfly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:56 am

Bay season was not that bad, just depends on who you speak with and where they were fishing. We caught more big fish this year than the last 4-5, but fewer on fly and light tackle due to where we were finding them unfortunately. Still a lot of bait around Cape Henry and out front of VA Beach, just no rock on it. TONS of rock from 10-20 miles out with bait scattered. Water temps at the mouth of the Bay have been right at 41-42 and offshore temps have been running 47-48. Next few weeks could be good in the Bay for C and R on fly so keep that in mind. No boats to deal with either! I am chaing BFT's this weekend with a friend so will see.

Postby ChrisNewsome » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Yes, there are small pockets of big fish left out there... striper are not extinct. The reason there were an okay number of trophies caught on eel and trolling was not due to a great number of fish but due to the slow cool down and calm weather experience in late fall. The big fish are left over from the glory days of the mid '90s and are now all grown up. Where are the younger fish that are going to replace these guys when their gone? The small fish don't go 10-20miles offshore in the winter. Guys that only eel and troll for large fish have a skewed view of the health of the population because they don't have an appreciate for the lack of fish in the 18-36" class. I'm just trying to spread the truth for the benefit of all anglers in the future. Any angler that has fished here since the reopening of the fishery in 1990 cannot dispute the fact that there are fewer fish of all sizes but especially the younger fish. The reason there are fewer fish is up for debate but there can be no debate that the fishery has declined over the last 10 years. This will be my last post on this thread.

Good luck out there guys... if you have too much luck, just send it my way!

Chris

Postby NoBananas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 am

I have two things to add. First, it is obvious that the fish are coming later each year. When I was a kid rockfishing in the Bay was over by December 1. Secondly, I have seen a steady decline in the numbers of fish for the past 6 or 8 years. Sadly, our fishing now reminds me very much of the early to mid 1970's which was when the fish disappeared. I find this depressing because I will not be able to wait for them to rebound again.

Postby toddkfly » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Agree with you Chris, been a decline for sure especially with smaller fish. Plenty of reasons and we all know what they are. Interesting about the smaller fish as this year we have actually caught a bunch of 24-32" fish out off shore which has not been the norm. Had a couple eat an Ilander trolled on a planer at 5.5 knots. That is committment! Good push of rock in towards the beach today (inside 2 miles) BFT there as well. We straightened a hook on one. Giving it a go again tomorrow-with my hooks.

Previous

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge