Moderator Control Panel ]

VA Beach?

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

VA Beach?

Postby Junebug » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am

Well, as we all know, the Bay season has closed. From all reports I have heard, it was one of the worst seasons in many years. There has been very few posts (none?) this year about what might be going on off of VA Beach. :( Does anyone have any reports? :?:

TIA

JuneBug

Re: VA Beach?

Postby kendalloz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:09 am

The mid-atlantic rockfish shootout is going on right now and in the last 2 days with over 100 boats in the tournament not ONE legal striper has been caught!

All the big fish are outside 3 miles.

Postby Junebug » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 pm

HI KO,

I was at HYC last night and was told that some nice blue fin tuna are being caught by some boats in the tournament.
Go figure! Rig up the fifteen weight and go for it!

JuneBug

Postby ChrisNewsome » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Just one fish weighed in the tournament over 3 days. Years ago, there would have been loads of fish within 3 miles with water temps like they are. Just another example of the sad state of the striper. I saw the decline coming over 10yrs ago. It's getting to the point that it's not if I will be forced out of guiding but when. Sorry for the rant... suffering from the winter blues!

Postby TLT » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm

You been fishing the ditch Chris?

Postby ChrisNewsome » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Tom,

I brought my boat home from the 'liz on 12/31. We had some good speck action down there... some slow days, too. Not much warm discharge anymore since they are shutting down the power plant. I took the boat over to the mouth of the ditch on my last day to see temp and it was only 49F. Will be interesting to see how the fishery fairs once the plant is totally shut down. I'm sure specks will still hold over in the winter on the 'liz due to the tannic water from the dismal swamp but I suspect the will be scattered.

Over the weekend I was scheduled take Jamie Howard (film maker of Location X, etc) out to the CBBT to shoot some footage for an upcoming striper movie he's doing. Told him he was a few years too late and we cancelled. Maybe, this warm weather in the forecast will bring in a stray school.

Chris

Postby bhorsley » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

lots and lots of fish around the light tower--seems plenty of folks are catching and releasing
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby TLT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:12 pm

I didn't know that the plant was shutting down.

The light tower is fourteen miles from Lynnhaven. The weather has to be perfect for that run.

Postby kendalloz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Yes plenty of big bass by the tower. If you go to Tidalfish.com you can see the tower in the background of some of the "striper" pics. Since bluefin are around folks are trolling
for bluefin and catching stripers as "bycatch" way out. Not getting political just saying that is the talk.

Yes Dominion Power is shutting down the Hot Ditch coal plant. Long story but it would cost more to upgrade that plant to modern clean air standards that it would cost to build a
whole new plant. So the warm water will cease in a few years. Lewis Gillingham of VMRC thinks the fish will still gather there in winter and will survive if it does not get too cold too
fast (like the other places they winter in the Carolinas and Rudee and so on). But the winter fishery will go down cause if the water is too cold the fish will not bite.

Normally this time of year the money point water temp (near the ditch) is in the 50s but it is running the same as everyplace else like Chris said....49 today. But you can catch specks and
reds in 49 degree water.

I just hope the fish survive. We have had some great days fishing for specks and reds in Rudee in February so maybe the ditich will turn into the same thing...go during a warm
spell and fish the shallows with dark bottom on a sunny day when the water warms.

Next

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge