Moderator Control Panel ]

Stripers on the Fly in VA

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Stripers on the Fly in VA

Postby oakislandbum » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm

We are looking to plan a winter trip to the CBBT area inshore/offshore to give ourselves the best odds for stripers on the fly. We have caught hundreds over many years of productive fishing around the Manns Harbor area on fly, but that just ain't what it used to be. Hopefully, it will be back again. Anyway, looking to head to Virginia and start a new annual trip tradition. Could you make suggestions? I seem to read about the bridges, the bay, and the ocean. We went mid-Jan (I think) last year, and the fish were in the ocean. Deep water and more current that I could believe. We jigged a few pigs on spinning gear, but no prayer of getting the fly down with any weight fly line. Fun but want to maximize our chances with the fly. Thanks!

Re: Stripers on the Fly in VA

Postby kendalloz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 am

You can fish any place along the CBBT all fall. The largest fish usually show after Thanksgiving. Weekdays are best (less crowded). The fish can be anyplace along the whole bridge...look for birds, marks on your machine, and other boats.
The Bay season closes December 31. You are still allowed to catch-and-release so the crowds are gone and the fishing can be super.

Re: Stripers on the Fly in VA

Postby toddkfly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I am with Kendall, I start looking around the week of Thanksgiving. We used to see good schools of fish near the mouth of the York up to Wolf Trap but the last 3 years has been terrible. The closer you can be to the CBBT the better your chances are. The pilings will hold fish and if the current gets too much for you, try the islands and cast your fly up into the rocks. A mild winter and surplus of bait will keep fish in the Bay but ocean becomes the game after the New Year for anything consistent. Last year was mild and we found some big fish in the lower Bay into mid-January but I think the school we found was lost.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge