Moderator Control Panel ]

Fishing the Eastern shore of Virginia

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Fishing the Eastern shore of Virginia

Postby Siessmack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:41 am

Anybody done it? My Dad and I are taking a long weekend to stay, fish and explore around Wachapreague, which a website touts as "The flounder fishing capital of the world."

Has anyone fished there? Any info would be greatly appreciated whether it be on the water or around the town.

I'm bringing tons of clousers in every color from all white to chicken on a chain, and my usual assortment of salt rod lineup.

Thanks!

Re: Fishing the Eastern shore of Virginia

Postby kendalloz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Hello! I personally have never fished that area...only further south. Only advice I can give is to check in with a local tackle shop, make a purchase, and ask for advice. Specks have been available on grass beds at low light (early/late or cloudy days) but I do not know of any grass beds up that way.

It is a little early for the specks on points, but it would not hurt to cast a clouser to any marsh points where there is some current or a little rip. In perhaps 2 to 6 feet of water.

Postby Siessmack » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 pm

KO - Thanks for the help. Have done pretty well up here with specks, bluefish, flounder, reds and a puffer on the fly for the last two days. Is there anywhere you recommend on the southern part of the Eastern Shore for fishing, ocean or bay side? We are thinking about going out early tomorrow morning for a few hours somewhere different before the trip back to the real world.

Thanks!

Postby kendalloz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 am

Hello! Sometimes the oyster reefs by Fisherman's Island are good (they are in a cut by the small bridge). There are specks at most of the creeks on the west side...if you launch at Cape Charles and go north. Fish creeks, points, and grass beds.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge