Moderator Control Panel ]

Catch and release on 2-4-12

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Re: Catch and release on 2-4-12

Postby toddkfly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 pm

We saw miles of bait and only one sliver that had fish with it. Fish were MOVING FAST! We found our luck about 2 miles W/NW of concrete ships in about 30' of water. Gannetts were hitting it hard but the fish were actually under birds sitting on the water. Got lucky and stumbled into a small school of toads. Did hang one on fly and pulled hook at the boat :x. Ate a big all white half and half 20 feet down. Rest of the time was coaching Matt and clearing everything out of his way so I could land his pig.

Our trip started up near th Poquoson area since fish were there a couple days prior. We had some marks up in the mouth of the York, then nada (excpet for bait)up NE of New Point and on over to east side. Piles of bait 50-70 feet down off Cape Charles for almost a mile and a half. Had some decent marks on our way back in just east of Bluefish rock but couldn't get them to eat. Going to blow this weekend so hope to try again next week.

Postby ChrisNewsome » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 pm

The warm temps have kept the big fish scattered inshore this year, but my concern is where are all the schoolies? Years back on warm winters you could find schoolies EVERY day. You'd run from one pod of fish to the next. Somedays you'd get lucky with big fish but the small fish were ALWAYS there. The schoolies now days are as rare as big fish. Without those smaller fish to fall back on, it is definitely a crapshoot for flyfishing. I'm not trying to get into fish politics... just reminiscing on what we used to have.

Chris

Postby kendalloz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Chris, Not being political but I agree. For years you could rely on small beehives over schoolies in the bay from November into the new year. For years we had great schoolie action off Ocean View...none the last 2 years. This is the second year in a row I have not seen any! One year we actually had fish rolling on top under birds all the way from the beach at the south end of the CBBT to Fisherman's Island. We rode the whole way caught fish the whole way insane....15 miles of breaking schoolies!

In November and early December we marked tons of schoolies around the CBBT but they did not blitz. Marks were everywhere but you'd only get a few bites out of them. Then they were gone in December and we went to days of fishing hard for a "limit."

What was "normal" a few years ago is not any more.

I am bummed that the trollers are killing so many breeding females this year. There was a big bite at Cape Henry yesterday all got limits so that is 2 females per anglers not gonna lay eggs this year. I will stop there. If the boss needs to delete this ok. But for sure things were different this year! Good for some not so good for others.

Postby toddkfly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 am

Agree with you guys, the schoolies are missing again this year. Caught more this summer that this fall and winter. In talking with some family in Montauk, they had an outrageous year with schoolie size bass and the bigger fish (albies rocked too). Seems like our schoolies are wherever the bigger bluefish are-not here. Water temps for us on Saturday were 45-46.

Postby Jbob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 pm

That's good news about the bunker. Hopefully some will make it up north this yr before the bunker boats vacuum them all up.

Previous

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge