Moderator Control Panel ]

Swung for the Fences....

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Swung for the Fences....

Postby SlimyDeck » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Arrived VB Fri 1/20, first trip to the area, under a deteriorating forecast (was still perfect Wed and fish were being caught). Quickly splashed the Slimy Deck at Lynnhaven and ran to CH and edged to the 3 mi line in choppy seas only to see an incredible gannet tornado another mile or two offshore. We dredged over scattered bait/marks and didn't get a bump, thump, or pull. Learned later that a new 74 lb VA state record fish was taken there while we were in and among 'em, but almost no other fish were pulled from inside the line. :?

Saturday in the rain, fog, and wind we hunted CBBT fish to past the 2nd island and went down in flames again, except for one spiny dog. :oops:

Then Sunday executed plan C (only plan possible in the conditions) and worked our tails off in the area of the ER hot ditch to no avail. :roll: It was cold, drizzly, and windy - tough conditions but it was neat to see some new territory. Thanks to those who pm'd me a pointer or two on the area.

Then Monday under seemingly perfect but foggy conditions launched at Owl Creek and steamed straight out of Rudee to 3 mi. Turned north and found scads of bait but no striped suits or marks that looked especially enticing. Circled out to 5 mi just to see what we could see and turned south to the state line. Marked lots of bait and dropped a full sink w/deceiver down over a nice mark - another doggie..... :cry: Turns out that nobody trolling got on 'em either....

So 4 days, 4 ways and nothing of consequence boated. Right places but just missed by a day or two.....

I'm impressed with the tidewater area for the variety of options one has to hunt winter fish and will be back. Thanks again for the guidance a few of you provided. Hope to see you, either here or there, on the water soon....

See ya!
LKN 1- 17 - 12.jpg

Slimy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him"

Re: Swung for the Fences....

Postby XXXi2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Sorry you didn't get what you were after. Maybe a return to Tidewater will prove more fruitful.

I was looking for you on Sun while I was out in the yak, but it seems our paths didn't cross. It was very slow--I picked up 2 modest fish and missed a few halfhearted strikes. I marked a few where I'd directed you, but those trout didn't want to eat my flies. Only saw one other fairly small fish boated by some bait fishermen.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby SlimyDeck » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Sorry that we missed one another Sunday. Did see one lone yakker, then another group of 4. Of the 5 or 6 boats there we didn't see a fish caught. As was mentioned in another post, the water seemed a consistent temperature within a degree or two everywhere, some nice marks in the deep water either side of the main channel at the bridge. The most bait was in the canal area up near the lock, but we didn't cast a line there....

We called it a day at about 2 pm and went to a nearby sports bar to catch the 1st half of the Pats/Ravens game and thaw out, then back to First Landing to put our feet up by the fire and listen to the 2nd game on the radio, lick our wounds, and plan Monday's attack.

See ya!
Slimy
"The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him"

Postby bhorsley » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:08 pm

from what folks have been telling me plenty of big bass moving back up the bay --strange year
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 am

Yes...odd year and a tough one for fly anglers in the ocean.

I think the CBBT may be the ticket real soon....

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 am

hmmmmmm :)
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge