Moderator Control Panel ]

Perch Patrol

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Perch Patrol

Postby kendalloz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:32 pm

The weather today was WAY too nice to work. Since the striper reports have been very slow I went to the hot ditch. Because it has not been too cold the pattern is different this year. The ditch itself was not too warm (50) I guess because they are not cranking out power because no one has heaters on today. The river temp was almost the same for miles....48 to 50. So the fish are spread out and not in the usual places. Found some great marks but could not get a bite. Found some borderline marks (kinda like bait or small fish or fish in bait) turned out to be perch. Got a few on fly but they were all over a chartreuse Gulp. Every cast. While perch are not big or fancy they sure were nice to catch on a mild January 24th! There is a pic on the VCFA Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/VCFA-Virginia-Coastal-Fly-Anglers/115531375191874

Re: Perch Patrol

Postby mb82 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Nice. Saw you pulling off Hampton Blvd on your way home. Figured you must have hit Hot Ditch.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Cutter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Sarah and I were just discussing the merits of the "lowly", or in my eyes, "highly esteemed" perch. Especially dusted in flour and Old Bay and released into peanut oil at 375 degrees F. They have saved many a day and fed me many a fine meal. Congrats.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Emerson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 am

Purrrrrfect treat for Jan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 am

Actually caught some really big ones (nicely bigger than the one in the pic) and wanted some to fry but when you see all that heavy industry and crap in the water down there I just don't think I could expose myself or family to what might be in those fish.... :shock: :) :?: Although the place where I found them was wooded and quiet and had the place to myself. Nice fishing...and just around the bend from a completely different waterway!!!! Also amazing is how they get those huge ships into such tight quarters.

Postby XXXi2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Nice perch.
The ditch sure has been forcing us to work for the trout as of late.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby meatstick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:26 pm

I admire anybody who likes White Perch. They are my staple species
where I live. Good 4 wt action for 7 months of the year. If they grew to 10 lbs I'd fish for nothing else.

Not a perch at all, but a member of the true "bass family".

A 13" whitey will provide serious pullage. A species that fly anglers do
not pay enough attention to in the upper Bay.

Two flies that work well for me: A unique-hair clouser on a 34007 (# 6)tied "Hi-Style"... no material on shank behind eyes. Medium black bead-chain. A little white UH, topped with a little olive UH, 2-3 strands of pearl krystal flash. Well tapered hair.

The 2nd fly is a tan craft-fur version of the first fly. A couple wraps of orange "petite estaz" right behind the eyes.

They will also hammer any small shrimpy lookin' fly. Their primary foods
are silversides, mummichogs, and grass shrimp ... though I have caught them on micro crab flies (size of your thumb nail). The crabs just take too effin' long to tie.

Postby kendalloz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Johnny, Thanks for the fly advice. Will try those. I had some eat Clousers but not nearly as well as they hit a chartreuse Gulp!

Xi yes trout were scarce. I keep hearing that because the weather is mild the fish are spread out and not in the usual winter places. I found a lot of great marks well out of the normal area but could not get a bite....so I am guessing specks. They could have been stripers but I bet if stripers they would have bit. Also interesting as the water temp up in the ditch was the same as everyplace else....so the mild air temps mean not too much hot water coming out. Water was 49-50 every place I went....from Money Point south.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge