Moderator Control Panel ]

Newbie to yakking the CBBRT

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Newbie to yakking the CBBRT

Postby Siessmack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Looking for some basic tips, background info on fishing the CBBRT in a yak. I've never been, I'm looking at heading down there from Richmond either Saturday or Sunday armed with fly and spinning rods. I have heard it can be sketchy in yaks, so I likely won't go without a friend. Not looking for secrets, but ss there anything in particular I should be doing other than maybe chasing birds and fishing around all of the pilings?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie to yakking the CBBRT

Postby kendalloz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:36 am

I guess the basics are be careful. Make sure you have a good light on the boat. In Virginia Beach make sure you park legally. There are some spots in the neighborhood by the beach. Just paddle and look for fish. If you stay under the bridge in the dark you can see fish in the light line. You need moving water. The small boat channel is a good spot (red and green lights on the bridge). You could also try the HRBT it is closer to Richmond. Might be more boats at HRBT then in close at CBBT.

Postby XXXi2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am

At what time will you be fishing and what are you looking to catch?
Do you or your friend have electronics on your yaks?
If you're looking to hit stripers at night, KO is right on the money.

The CBBT may not be your best choice. Prepare to take a beating. :twisted:
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby kendalloz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Sorry...I kinda assumed you were thinking night. yes...You can take a beating out there so pick your days carefully. A lot depends on your experience and equipment.

If in the day you can also get off as soon as you come out of the HRBT and get on ocean view avenue and stop at occasional public access points as you drive along. Scan the water with binocs and look for birds. If you see some launch and go get 'em. You can have great uncrowded fishing doing this as most boaters ignore this area. Some years there are birds over stripers off ocean view every day. Too early to know if it will happen this year. Some days they can be right on the beach. Very fun! You could also go out around East Beach and fish the jettys at Little Creek. CoastalX caught specks there wading in the daytime a few weeks ago. I would not recommend fishing the HRBT on a calm Friday or Saturday night. It can be a real zoo. Since most folks go in by midnight, it is far less crowded pre-dawn than at night between sunset and midnight. Any specific questions?

Postby mb82 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Thirding HRBT. If I was in that town this weekend I would say I would come out with you, but I am in Richmond.

Not sure if XXXI2 was talking about the beating he and I took last year on CBBT in the kayaks or the most recent beating we took at HRBT the other night. Lets just say fish when the wind is down at either place.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Siessmack » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Quite helpful guys, thank you very much. I'll likely hit the HRBT since its closer. Getting my bridges mixed up. Was planning on fishing during the day, though stripers at night sure does sound awesome. I do not ave a depth finder on my 12 foot Tarpon, but it is not currently working. Also do not have a light pole on either. Sounds like I need to get my gear fully set up for the night action. Will let you know how it is if I make it out there!

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge