Moderator Control Panel ]

Few hours up in Mobjack

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Few hours up in Mobjack

Postby toddkfly » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Took advantage of a day off and favorable weather to go speckin' up in the Jack with MB82. Broke in a new 8 weight with a nice 4lb. fish on a sweet little grass flat. Moved over to some wood and picked at a mixed bag of specks, stripers, blues and one little hound doggie. Great few hours in one of my favorite places to fish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Few hours up in Mobjack

Postby meatstick » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 am

Hey, bueno job-o !! :mrgreen:

What eez that new stick ?

That looks like a small version of your Amberjack fly.

Postby toddkfly » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 am

It's a Batson RX8, XF908-4. Titanium strippers with titanium framed single foot SIC guides. Been messing around with the single foot guides on certain set ups and this rod cast beautifully. Was throwing a Rio Saltwater WF8F/I (one of my favorites). There is a slight increase in weight by using the ceramic inserts but, I shave off weight in other areas to help compensate. When building 9 weights or bigger, I keep the double foot snakes, but have switched to using a titanium framed ceramic tip top. The tip takes most of the stress and heat and by switching to a top with an insert, you save the fly line quite a bit of stress.

A friend who designs blanks for one of the big companies just sent me a new 9wt. blank to test at Harker's. Has the 3M resin system so looking forward to see how it translates to the real world.

The fly is a yellow over white clouser, tied on a Varivas #2610 ST-V with small eye balz. The AJ bug is a half and half but same colors.

Postby mb82 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:47 pm

I will personally second that the rod throws awesome. Didn't want to hand it back after I had been throwing an XI2 8wt most of the day. Beautiful area with great company.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge