Moderator Control Panel ]

CBBT HRBT Report

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

CBBT HRBT Report

Postby kendalloz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Fished hard today with Gary from PropTalk Magazine. Early morning top water got boils and hits but no hookups! Likely stripers. We also saw reds and Cobia that did not cooperate with fly fishing. Bluefish at both CBBT and very small ones at HRBT did cooperate with flies. Found some wonderful marks at the CBBT and after no response to our flies we send a Gulp down on a jig and got a 35-pound black drum. So, not skunked but could have been better. Water is hot maybe the fish are not too lively. Great company!

Re: CBBT HRBT Report

Postby Emerson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Still had a fun day... :mrgreen:
Nothing like an anti-skunk gulp!! They have saved the day before and will in the future!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby TLT » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:55 am

Great KO! Was it a big school of reds?

Postby kendalloz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Saw 5-6 may have been more moving along the spine. A few weeks ago I saw a single which I would not have expected but it happened....swimming behind rays like a cobia but it was a huge red. It is fun to see the reds and cobia but obviously more fun to catch them. There was a surprisingly large amount of boat traffic out for a week day yesterday and that might have had something to do with the no-bite. Thankfully the small blues ate some flies.

The black drum was an odd thing....lots of odd marks (perhaps a mix of bait and predators) the flies were ignored but the Gulp got the black. There may have been some reds there too. Ran into a friend on the water and he caught 5-citation reds on a bucktail at the 3rd island the week before. He saw/marked them. Just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

Postby bhorsley » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:21 pm

friend of mine fished up there Wednesday and saw 90+ cobia on some rips east of the bridge. Told me he had a school of cobia mixed with reds and blacktips. They hooked cobia and a red out of the school. Told me it was some of the best cobia fishing he has had--it lasted for about 4 hours. The next day the cobia they saw were around the bridge pilings
sounded like fun
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Yikes! Wish we'd seen that! We saw some cobia on the pilings, one huge, but they did not eat. There were other boats working the pilings so the fish may have been spooked. We ran out to the 4A and found nice pods of bait but never saw a cobia or red out there.... :(

Postby bhorsley » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:46 pm

yep they were stacked up on some current rips
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge