Moderator Control Panel ]

Roe SHAD Wallace

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Roe SHAD Wallace

Postby arny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Gettn mighty shady on da Nottoway. CFS are up and I expect them to rise over the weekend due to the rainfall, but next week should be proper for hooking multiple shad on a beautiful river! :D

Re: Roe SHAD Wallace

Postby kendalloz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Got a report today they are there so go get em!

Postby mb82 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Never fished the Notaway. Any info for a new to the area guy?
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby kendalloz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Have fished it a few times not an expert. You will need a boat.

Also have never had a "banner" day there with lots of fish only a few fish each trip. Maybe a dozen best trip. But, I heard some spin anglers had a 100 fish day this week. It is also a totally beautiful and undeveloped river and is a wonderful trip fish or not. Lots of snakes, birds, cypress knees. No factories (except by the ramp). Just do not go fast in small narrow areas as there is a lot of down/submerged timber.

There is a ramp on Rt 671 here...SW of Franklin VA
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/maps/NOTTB.pdf

Have caught fish at the first turn/bend in the river just north of ramp (bends to the left/west) and at more bends up the river. Look for other boats but do not get too close. Everyone I have met on the river there is pretty nice...and if you see someone catching fish you may be able to shout/ask to move in and they will say come on down! Lots of different kinds of boats on the water (dumps, Carolina Skiffs to Fast A__ bass boats and maybe a flats boat ;) but no one goes too fast.

There is supposed to be an old oxbow 2.5 miles up river I have never been to...largely hidden by brush. If you get into it, it is full of fish (bass and bluegills not shad). You can see what looks like an old oxbow on google if you work your way up north from the 671 ramp (also called the Hurcules ramp).

Google "Nottoway Fishing" or "Nottoway Access" and you will find plenty to read. If you go good luck and post a report!

Postby mb82 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks Kendal. Sounds like the kind of place my kayak should not go.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge