Moderator Control Panel ]

A long ride for a skunk

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

A long ride for a skunk

Postby Junebug » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:20 am

I was invited to go out today with two friends to hunt for the stripers. Our boat was a customized Chesapeake Bay Deadrise and was anything but a workboat, although that is how it began it's life.

The forecast for today was for light winds with rain coming in late afternoon. We left Hampton Creek around nine and headed out into the Bay. As soon as we hit open water the chop was already up to about two feet and the windshield wipers came on. The two fellows I was with were not fly fishermen but they do tolerate my obsession, so I had two flyrods, plus my spinning and trolling rod and some lures.

Basically the name of the game for the trip was to look for the birds working or to locate bait and fish on the finder. We ran to York Spit light, and then to the high rise on the CBBT without seeing ANYTHING!. No birds and a clear fishfinder. Finally about two miles outside of the high rise, we started seeing bait and some signs of fish at about thirty feet. The stretch 25s went out with no love. Therre were a lot of Gannets but mostly they were sitting on the water of just flying around low from place to place. Not a good sign. We finally trolled the entire span from the high rise to the forth island, again , no love. The rain came in around two and we threw in the towel.

The water temp was reported at about 46 degrees which should hae been good but I think it has cooled down too fast. Hopefully, the Bay season isn't over yet, but it doesn't look good for now. More cold weather is coming in Monday and that could spell the end of the Bay fishing.

For what it's worth, there was a striper tournment today based in Hampton. None of the boats we talked to had anything either. I never had a chance to make a cast. :(
JUneBug

Re: A long ride for a skunk

Postby XXXi2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 am

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the skunk.
Your experience is in line with just about every report I've heard in the past week or so.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby kendalloz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:01 am

At least you got out. All I have heard are bad reports. When the water temp goes down 10 degrees in a week, like it just did, a lot of fish bolt for the ocean and some stable temps, and those that stay behind kinda get lock jaw. There are tons of stripers 15-miles out. With the cold coming this week the Bay season will likely be about done unless we get a nice warm spell and some offshore fish decide to swim back in. Lookin' grim. :cry:

The normal high this time of year is still over 50 and this is what is coming...

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 39. West wind between 13 and 17 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. West wind between 14 and 16 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 33. Breezy, with a west wind between 16 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 19.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 36.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Postby TLT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 am

That was my experience yesterday too. Great marks all day, lots of lockjaw. I really hope this cold snap doesn't put an end to it. The school's winter break starts next Friday, and I need some fishing time. I might have to learn the Hot Ditch.

Postby Cutter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 pm

There are still lots of nice fish up here, but they will be bee-lining to you this week.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Junebug » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:31 pm

From the looks of the coming weather, we'll probably see their wakes as they go through here. :(

JuneBug

Postby mb82 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Junebug wrote:From the looks of the coming weather, we'll probably see their wakes as they go through here. :(

JuneBug

I bet their will be a rooster tail from the fish as they pass by.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

striper Fri.

Postby h2oski » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Went out Fri. at noon and caught stripers 24 to 28 in at the Third island. Ed

Postby toddkfly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:18 am

Friday was tough on this end. Ran from Dare to NPC, nada, then over to Cape Charles and then all the way to the CBBT throught he eelers and trollers. We even went a couple miles east as some birds were trying to get something started. Good bait marks and a few decent striper marks but nada. Was nice that the wind did not blow for a change. Got back to the dock and one of the old timers I frequently chat with had trolled all day and managed a couple fish in the York with one slob going just over 50lbs. :o Heard some friends up in the Rapp doing ok so we'll see. Water temps had dropped 10 degrees in a week, down to a chilly 42. Know some guys up in NY and Jersey still banging the stripers so it may be a late year or they'll go out 12 miles and hang for the winter like last year. Decided to duck hunt vs. fish on Saturday with Grebe and and another buddy and we had a great day.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge