Moderator Control Panel ]

switch/spey for fall line shad and rockfish.....whachathink?

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

switch/spey for fall line shad and rockfish.....whachathink?

Postby grebe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm

All,

I have pretty well convinced myself that a spey casting rod is in my near future....will be used for wading the james around downtown area. Even though I have a boat and canoe, I think my opportunities to get on the water would improve exponentially if I can limit the boating aspects and gear down to waders, a rod, and a box of flies. problem is...the area I would be targeting is tight on the back cast.

So, question is: who is already doing this, and can I learn from your experience? I am looking at 6-8 weight setups, leaning more light than heavy. My experience in the past here is a 6 weight 9 footer is too light for fighting the current on a schoolie rock, but an 8 weight might be too much on a hickory shad. Would this be different on a switch or spey?

Other question: get a switch rod for the versatility, or balls out with a 12 foot + spey for the bomb casts?

Feel free to ramble on as I have about the usefullness or lack thereof of an 11 foot plus rod in the midatlantic states.

Re: switch/spey for fall line shad and rockfish.....whachathink?

Postby mb82 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Go talk to Michael at Orvis in Shortpump. He has been doing it for a few years. He is throwing both switch and spey. He almost had me convinced to try it last year. He is using a 6wt switch normally.

He uses his rods for shad/schoolies in the James. Throwing big casts for Smallies on the James along with targeting catfish at times. We have talked about fishing outside of Roanoke with the rods at night for the stripers coming out of Smith Mountain Lake.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby WVUFINSNFLIES » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:37 am

Switch It Up....!!!!!!!!!! You will be impressed with the versitility of having a multi-faceted all-in-one rod outfit..... I have an Orvis Helios 117-4 tip flex that has been used to skagit cast for steelhead, nymph for big rainbows, and surf cast for stripers. Its the total package!... Now, many of the top rod companies have a model, at least go cast one to see......

Best of Luck

Postby grebe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 am

thanks for the replies, guys. I am leaning towards a 6 weight switch...I am pretty handy with the one handers as far as fighting fish and have caught some pretty stout fish on my 6 weight, but the problem with the 6 weight is a large fish in the current. Will a 6 weight switch have the same issue?

Postby mb82 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 am

grebe wrote:thanks for the replies, guys. I am leaning towards a 6 weight switch...I am pretty handy with the one handers as far as fighting fish and have caught some pretty stout fish on my 6 weight, but the problem with the 6 weight is a large fish in the current. Will a 6 weight switch have the same issue?

That is what Michael is using IIRC. 6wt switch or spey is not the same as 6wt single hand according to him, apparently they have more power. Another guy who worked at that shop last year was using a 5wt switch just fine from the southside bank.
Jeff G

Postby grebe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 am

Cool, I will have to hit them up next time I am heading to richmond's only "flyshop". That is a hard place to drive to when they dont even carry tying material anymore....but they seem to be doing well with the overpriced clothing line.

Postby mb82 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:31 pm

grebe wrote:Cool, I will have to hit them up next time I am heading to richmond's only "flyshop". That is a hard place to drive to when they dont even carry tying material anymore....but they seem to be doing well with the overpriced clothing line.

Don't worry even the employees like me yell about the lack of tieing materials. We hoped the new fishing manager would fix that but nope.
Jeff G

Postby Junebug » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:04 am

mb82 wrote:
grebe wrote:Cool, I will have to hit them up next time I am heading to richmond's only "flyshop". That is a hard place to drive to when they dont even carry tying material anymore....but they seem to be doing well with the overpriced clothing line.

Don't worry even the employees like me yell about the lack of tieing materials. We hoped the new fishing manager would fix that but nope.

The new Richmond Bass Pro Shop has a very nice fly fishing store within the store. Lots of tying materials. Also they have a great resturant in the store with some very good seafood! If you haven't been there yet, give it a visit!

JuneBug

Postby KironaFly » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:34 am

Found this an interesting question (post).

Having read about & being influenced by Rhode Island fly rodders (guys who have been fly fishing for Stripers since WWII) I picked up on the Kenny Abrames philosophy about long rods for Striper fishing. It's this type of salmon / striper ... Salmo Saxitilis fishing techniques that leads one to 10ft. plus rods .... switch rods ... and for some Spey rod fishing.

Over time .... here on the Rappahannock River .... fishing for Shad & Stripers in the Spring I've used a 10 foot rod for about 15 years. I evolved like most fly fishers do .... and went from a 9 & 10ft - 9wt .... to a 10ft - 7wt .... and finally I've settled on a 10ft - 6wt rod (the old G. Loomis GLX 10ft 6wt 2pc ... or a Sage XP 10ft 6wt 4pc) and find it the best combination of functionality & sport. I over-line these rods using Airflo Cold Water clear Intermediate WF 7wt. line... or a 7wt float line with a 10ft sink tip (type 3 or 4 intermediate).

The key to using a 6wt (or 7wt etc.) is in the tippet selection.... don't go light when fishing for Shad or Stripers (which is mostly all catch & release). Use a long leader tapered to about 12 to 15lbs test ... a fluorocarbon bite tippet is my habit & recommendation for good strong loop knots attached to the fly..

With a tough tippet you can pull fish to your standing position against the river flow and around rip-rap. The 6wt ... particularly in a longer rod has plenty of strength to land larger fish. My best fish in the Rappahannock (and I've caught all species types on a fly rod) was an 9lbs Carp .... and 7 pound Striped Bass. No problem on a 10ft 6wt rod .... over-lined.... with a strong tippet / bite guard.

So I think you're on the right track .... as longer rods are better tools for river wading / fishing. While you might need to roll cast ... I rarely do on the Rappahannock.... for sure .... a 10ft plus rod is easier to cast when deep wading (less line slap on the back cast) and mends line better.

GO LONG (rod) on the James ... you'll be glad you did. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby grebe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:44 am

kironafly,

Thanks for your post. I am carefully considering your post.

Junebug,

I have been to bass pro shop many times, and my comments still stand....lets just leave it at that. They do have tying material though.

Next

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge