Moderator Control Panel ]

Resistance

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Resistance

Postby arny » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Fished Laf. this am. I was greeted by a few pups(finally) and a few suits and officers as I fished the bulk head and drop off. I believe I was fishing during a scheduled meeting off some sort as evidenced by the diblerate and intentional arrival of the group of 8. Finger pointing was followed by approaching officers waving this writer away from the storied fishing grounds.
I left without dialog, and am worried about future fishing restrictions in the area. Recently certain lights were removed from the area. I wonder about the legal aspects of fishing near this area.
Tight ones,
Arny

Re: Resistance

Postby kendalloz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Arny, Last I checked (not this year) the whole area is open to fishing. It is a sensitive area on the charts (same as all area bridges...subject to closure in time of high threat but otherwise open...outlined in a dotted purple line). I called the USCG and was told the area is open. Go online and check the charts. The solid purple areas are off limits that is all.

But, I have also been chased away but not this year. The bottom line is the area is open you are not breaking the law but some port cops (who do not have jurisdiction in the water by the way) think everyone should stay 100 yards out. I thought about protesting the occasional run-offs but if they realize the area is truly open they may go to the govt to get it officially closed which would be worse. So, 2 cents is leave if they ask you to and fish someplace else till another day. I have seen a lot of boats out there and a lot of cops with no one chased off this year. You are the first I heard of this year. maybe they were having a training exercise or a new boss had to beat his chest. I thought they had given up on the running off. I guess not.

Try the Hermitage.

Solid purple is closed the rest is open...as seen here...

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12245.shtml

Nice work on the fish! :D

Re: Resistance

Postby arny » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 am

Thanks alot for the info, helpful. Hopefuly the dreaded the signs I anticipate never arrive.
Arny

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge