Moderator Control Panel ]

CBBT 10-19

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

CBBT 10-19

Postby Junebug » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 am

Got an invite from a friend to go striper fishing at the CBBT. He has a large Deadrise and told me they would be trolling, so no flyrod. Oh well, it was a chance to see what was going on out there. :)

Long story short, not much! :( We fished from between the second and third island, and above the fourth island from around o900 to after 1500 fishing stretch 25s, and wire lining (I hate it!) jigs and storm type lures. We lost a lot of tails to blues. I finally decided to put a tall hook in the rig I was working and finally caught a taylor blue. I caught the only striper caught all day with five guys fishing. It was a skinny 23 1/2 inch fish. I was surprised at how skinny it was considering all of the talk I have heard about how much bait was around this year.

I don't know if the bright moon had much to do with the slow action, but it was poor.

JuneBug

Re: CBBT 10-19

Postby kendalloz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:59 pm

:cry:

Postby ChrisNewsome » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey guys... I haven't posted in quite a while. Got me fingers crossed for a warm winter so the good year class of specks and pups survive. Those real skinny stripers you're speaking of have advanced stages of myco (even if they aren't showing external lesions). A good year class of bunker doesn't help these fish... they're already goners. VIMS scientists are saying results have shown that fish die about 3yrs after contacting the disease. On a positive note there are good numbers of stripers staging along the shallows of the bay shore on the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck... over 75 on fly before noon today. Looking forward to seeing the crew in Harkers. I'll be down there from Nov 6-14 fishing with my dad and a few buddies. Wish I was down there now after reading the Boss's reports!

Chris

Postby meatstick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Chris, good to hear from ya !! Yep, you took the words out of my mouth ... "skinny striper" is a sure indicator for "Myco".

I just got back from down there. Monday-Tuesday and a few hrs Wednesday. Very long story ... but total tally of 'cores was zippo. The little Whaler was not enough boat to get to 'em. Cresting swells. I made it to (within sight of) the Rock Jetty, but had to turn back. I overheard Capt. Sandlin saying: "east of shark island, it was game on". (monday). I have no idea how our friends were able to get around or through the shoals. Like Chief Brody said: "I think we need a bigger boat".

Resorted to jigging blues in the "connector" water between Taylor Creek and Beaufort Inlet.

Don't laugh people, but a Deadly Dick is a damn good metal bait !! Yes, I broke out the devil stik. Bluefish-a-rama !! Moocho splattered blood-o !!

Postby eski » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am

Chris, I will be down at Harkers Nov. 4th. to 8th. staying at Calico Jacks leaving the docks at 7:00. Look me up or call 757-418-1374. Ed, Big mouth flyrod Bag

Postby fishermike » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:20 am

Hi! Glad to hear you will be down to Harkers, Chirs! I will be down and staying at the VCFA house from Oct 29 thru Nov 21. You are always welcome to stop by and we can swap stories. Got my fingers crossed for a mild winter to give the stripers a chance to hit our flies! Thanks and tight lines, mike

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge