Moderator Control Panel ]

HRBT 10-12

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

HRBT 10-12

Postby Junebug » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:52 am

Got a call from an old friend to go fishing last night at HRBT. We got there around seven PM and anchored in our favorite spot. No winds and smooth water looked promising, but the ebb tide was already showing signs of slacking. NO birds in the area was a bad sign for starters.

We saw no bait, no birds, and the tide quit at about 2030. We both did mamage two hits. I hooked a gray trout and lost it at the goat. My friend also caught one (he was spin fishing) and when I looked at him he was lipping it! Just as I said "don't lip a trout!" he suddenly dropped it. I don't think it drew blood, but he found out about the teeth! About the time the tide went slack we both caught a small blue. Mine was only about eight inches long. I had never caught one that small. Which raises a question: where do blues spawn and grow? If I had to guess, I'd say offshore. So how unusual is it for a very small one to be in the Bay?

We gave up and didn't wait for the flood to begin, as there seemed to be no reason to hang around. There was a Yakker out there (with no light) and we didn't see him land anything either.

Maybe next time!

JuneBug

Re: HRBT 10-12

Postby mb82 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:57 am

Seems about like my last few trips.

Yeah there are some kayakers out there that either have no light or such a dim light that they can't be seen at anything more then 20ft. I don't understand them personally.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby kendalloz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks for the report. Too bad it was slow. And yes the HRBT is no-light central. Have seen all kinds of boats out there with no lights. Good place to move around slowly!

Postby toddkfly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm

JB, those micro blues are around most of the year around docks and structure in the rivers, bays. Little cuisanarts is what we refer to them as. Will still do a number on a fly. Good to hear of the grey trout at the HRBT. Been slacking in numbers the past few years. Used to catch some big ones down there, 4-9lbs. Lots of the predators eat the small trout. Seen piles of them jump onto the beach at the OBX to get away form the bigger blues.

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge