Moderator Control Panel ]

Two nights in 3 days at HRBT

Fishing reports from the Tidewater area and lower Chesapeake Bridge

Two nights in 3 days at HRBT

Postby mb82 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Friday I headed out with XXXI2 for a night run at HRBT. Met up at the ramp got gear ready headed over to the bridge. Lot of boats out, which is to be expected on a beautiful Friday evening. Never have been skunked at HRBT, well now I can say I have been. It was a nice 10MPH W wind with incoming tide made for some nice chop. Didn't even see a fish, talked to the marine patrol guy at the ramp and he had seen 2 fish all night and this was nearly midnight. We didn't feel so bad then.
Only shot of the night.

So Sunday night was the big night, Dad Tracy XXXI2 and I headed out meeting at the ramp again. Again a beaut of a night. Again similar fishing. I did see fish in the lights this time but they were all trout and none were interested in my fly. I was going insane trying to figure out what they wanted till I hit a school of bait and saw the smallest silversides I have ever seen jump out of the water. Yeah I was not prepared for size 8 bait.
Did catch a gray trout but it was while the fly was sitting below my boat and I was trying to come up with why I could not catch anything. Put the hook right through the bony side of the face without any effort... thank you Varivas hooks.
Sorry about the pic, yeah I know it is bad.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Re: Two nights in 3 days at HRBT

Postby kendalloz » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I love that report! Sorry you had slow fishing but just to see a gray trout! Have not seen one this year! Hopefully more small ones are on the way!

I know you need to fish when you can (me too) but calm weekend nights at the HRBT during striper season are tough. Weekdays better. Or get up at 0 dark 30 and fish pre dawn and come in for breakfast. I sincerely think the fish can get spooked as there is so much boat and angler pressure. At the HRBT in striper season, the worst times to fish are Fridays and Saturdays in good weather between 1600 and 0000.

Were you fishing outside the light line (up current casting back) or under the bridge (in the dark) sight fishing?

Postby mb82 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Both. Saw the fish from under the bridge. Caught the fish while between the spans just kinda drifting.

I know weekend nights are not great, infact that was the first non-opening weekend night I have ever done. When we left last night there was only a few boats on the bridge and the only cars at the ramp were kayakers.
Jeff G

Postby mb82 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Oh yeah I noticed my boat was kinda wallowing around some especially when going diagonally to the chop. Figured it out today when I went to wash the boats. My boat had ~2.5 gallons of water sloshing around inside of it. Yep 20lbs suddenly moving will cause a little change in the attitude of a kayak. It also would explain why my boat felt so heavy when I was carrying it to the water, that weight had nothing to do with the 50lbs of junk I carry when I am fishing.
Not sure where it came from, probably from sitting since the beach and rainwater getting in past the wallet hatch, or at least I hope.
Jeff G

Return to Tidewater / Lower Chesapeake Bridge