Moderator Control Panel ]

For you photography/videography junkies...

General Questions

Re: For you photography/videography junkies...

Postby BlueHeron » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:42 pm

I can picture a cluster of boats on the east side, somebody looks up --"Here comes Don's drone - everybody pretend there's no fish!!"

Been thinking about the potential for these to scout for pods of feeding fish, but the idea of looking across the barrier island is great. Be sure to report to those of us with only radios. Just don't tell me about the drum bite in the surf up at drum inlet. ;)

What kind of limitations does wind place on using these?
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Re: For you photography/videography junkies...

Postby DThimsen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Dave,

I've had the drone up in about 15 knot winds and it was easily able to hold position, but I'm sure it's range would be substantially limited in high winds.

Also, I don't think you'd have to worry much about bothersome drones at this point. The controller has to be within 500M with current hardware and technology. A drone programmed to scout a large area doesn't need ground control, but this pretty much limits the option of stopping to check things out...

I think the main benefit in the near future will probably be the photography/videography platform provided by the drone viewpoint - like the gopro's have done with underwater footage. I can't wait to put a drone 30ft. over a good bait ball bite. This should provide some very interesting camera angles.

Don
He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense... John McCarthy

Previous

Return to General