Moderator Control Panel ]

For you photography/videography junkies...

General Questions

For you photography/videography junkies...

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:21 am

Thought I'd share this video from Jono Shales over in Exmouth Bay, Western Australia. I'm sure most of you are familiar with him from the Mako Pro Team. I'm heading over there on the 12th to fish with him for a week, so I've been keeping up with his pics and vids more frequently these days. This one caught my eye as something that the local photography/videography crowd may want to try their hand at this season off the Cape.

Hope everyone's having a good winter.

http://vimeo.com/85637596

PS: Also for the photography crowd, I just picked up the Nikon 1 AW 1 to bring with me. First impressions are great, and I hope to be able to get in the water with it some. Regardless, having an interchangeable lens setup that you don't have to worry about getting wet, dusty, and banged around should be crucial for having around the boat. If anyone's curious about it, feel free to PM me sometime in March and I can give you my feedback on it from the trip.

Re: For you photography/videography junkies...

Postby kendalloz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Takes a lot of guts to fly those $$$$ over the open salt water like that!

Postby DThimsen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:22 pm

I got the same DJI Phantom 2 Vision quadcopter for Christmas. The idea is to scan large areas of the flats for redfish. The Vision's HD camera is probably the equivalent of the current gopro. It also has a live video feed that plays through an iphone/android app. The resolution on the live feed is not HD quality, and I'm curious how the fish scouting will work out when I get it out on the water.

The quadcopter is super-easy to fly - you can basically put it at the altitude and position you want, and put down the controller. The GPS lock will hold it there even in 15 knot winds. I'm sure you'll be seeing lots of these on the water soon. Range is about 10 miles or 25 minutes of flying, but you have to stay within about 1/3 mile from the controller. Auto-returns to launch site if it loses contact with the controller.
He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense... John McCarthy

Postby kendalloz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 pm

So, If you launch it from a boat (and the boat moves...likely...) it will return to the water? All seems well with how these fly and return...but returning to a boat on the open water....?????? :?: :?: :?: If you read the forums on these things almost all beginners crash. SO if you crash into salt water you have lost everything. That is my big concern.

Postby DThimsen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 pm

If you don't take back control of the copter, then it would eventually land in the water. However, the "pilot" has plenty of time to perform the re-capture. The copter has a protocol it goes through to avoid self-landing - it gains altitude, returns to the origin point and hovers for a fairly long time. I plan on doing some testing in a large field to practice recapturing control.

Have you been reading R/C forums? I fly R/C airplanes reasonably well, but have never mastered helo flying. The Phantom is nothing like R/C flying. In fact, it would be more accurate to say it's self flying, and the pilot is sending position commands. Let go of the controls means "stay where you are". I've hovered the copter at head level, put down the controller, walked over and grabbed the lander gear and thrown the thing as hard as I could. In a few seconds, it's back where it started. Based on my experience, and watching curious neighbors fly it, I think the average person would be comfortable with basic flight control in less than a minute. There has been fairly serious development going on with quadcopters for 4-5 years for hobbiest. The Phantom that I have has only been available since the end of Nov. 2013. It's not a toy or kit, but a pretty advanced piece of technology.

Having said all this, I'll probably lose one in the water. The price of being an early-adopter...

Don

Postby kendalloz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:12 am

I have been getting most of my info here...(VERY long thread)...

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/256/quad-and-hexa-copters

and here...

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/gopro-quadcopter-f110.html

Would love to try a Phantom but I have too many toys already and no time....maybe one day....

Please post your progress!

Postby DThimsen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:24 am

Waiting a bit is probably a good idea right now. The technology changes happening with the copters is amazing. The phantom is good, but I already know I'd want a better live video stream. A higher resolution display (ipad) would be nice. There is already a new ground station controller user-upgrade that uses an iPad.

Thanks for the link to forum thread. Since it spans 2011 to current, the thread will give you a feel about how fast development has moved through the past three years. BTW, one of the latest video clips covers the return-home procedure used by a drone. At worst case, the pilot probably has at least a minute or two to recapture control of the drone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Mogbf4xZA

Don

Postby Goose » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Don:
Be sure to post some of your vids from the scouting sessions once you get out on the water. Would love to see some aerial vids from our local waters. Where I do most my fishing around Wilmington, there's a guy who does some scouting over the marshes from a powered paraglider. Apparently he launches right from his backyard on the Intracoastal. Think the Phantom might be a bit more cost effective/safe, though he looks like he has a good time.

Postby DThimsen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Goose,

A powered paraglider for spotting fish sounds like a great mix of hobbies, but I think I'm a bit past that.

I'm currently researching the Ground Station control option for drones. Basically, you define a "mission" with waypoints on your ipad/iphone/android app linked to the drone, which performs an autonomous flight and returns to the launch point. I assume you'll be able to activate the camera at set points along the way and take HD recordings. On return, view the video recorded on the onboard SD card. The HD Video quality is excellent. I could see stopping at the end of the Drain before turning toward the lighthouse, and launching a recon flight on the east-side of core banks to check everything within a few miles of the lighthouse. My be worth taking a 10-15 break to decide whether the east side look interesting enough to head there first. I'm waiting on a firmware update that should be out in a few weeks to see how this autonomous flight works...

Honestly, I don't know if I'll every even use this stuff for fishing. I rarely even listen to a radio when on the water. But I do enjoy playing with new technologies, and this one is fascinating.

Don

Postby Emerson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:48 pm

This sounds so cool! Cannot wait to be an observer !!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Next

Return to General