Moderator Control Panel ]

Yellowfin/blackfin?

General Questions

Yellowfin/blackfin?

Postby Jdog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Anyone target yellowfin or blackfin tuna with flyrod off NC Oregon inlet or Beaufort inlet (Brian, Sarah do yall stray out for em?) Caught them trolling w/conventional but wonder if/how/where someone may target them with the long stick?

Curious, thinking about taking Father in Law this spring (conventional gear)and wonder if I may find someone/charter that has done the fly rod deal for em.

Thaks for any/all info in advance

Jason

Re: Yellowfin/blackfin?

Postby TLT » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

I just came back from a trip to Hatteras where we targeted blackfins on 7 ounce butterfly jigs. They hold very deep in fast current. Unless they are near the top they would be tough I think on a fly. They chunk for them in the Keys with success.

Re: Yellowfin/blackfin?

Postby bhorsley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:52 pm

we have caught of yellowfin on fly out of Oregon Inlet. It is expensive--1750.00 plus about 400 in tips. It is hard to find someone to take you unless they are chunking the YFT. You can chunk with pieces of Butterfish and float flies down with the chunks---it is big fun. But they are not always chunk able --it has been almost 10 years. FLA is the best consistent bet.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to General