Moderator Control Panel ]

A tale of 2 reels and 2 super companies

General Questions

A tale of 2 reels and 2 super companies

Postby Emerson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am

2 of the reels I took to Baja were fish worn before I started the spring trip. Both were about 10 years old.
Problem #1:
My Tibor reel started to make unnatural noises after a few runs with some barilette. It was squeaking and clunking but still worked. Juan Carlos picked up my rod to cast and used the reel and he looked at me and said..problemo. I did not use it again on the trip as I was afraid it would fail with a monster rooster.

Problem #2:
My Sage reel had worked fine for years, it was still purring quietly. I was fishing with Mike Tousey's son, Nick. We got into a bunch of roosters and I noticed my fly line had slipped off the reel. I looked and saw that the reel was coming away from the frame. I tried to reseat it but it would not last long before it came off again. Stopped using that reel..lucky it was the last day!

2 reels both roostered up!

I got home and mailed them to their respective hospitals with a note: Please make them Purr quietly again.

Solution #1
The Tibor comes back to my door in a week...yes I week. They put new 2 bearings in and other items inside and told me I needed a new handle. Of course it was all lubed and looked like my old reel but sounded like a brand new reel! Fantastic!!!

Solution #2 took a bit longer. I got a message from Sage on my voice mail a few weeks later asking me what color I wanted. I called back and they said that they do not service that reel anymore since they cannot get parts so I was getting an Upgrade. I told them a color and about one week later I get a brand new Sage 6000 series with my old backing neatly put on. The reel is fantastic! New price $600.

Bottom line: Why would you ever buy anything from any other companies. I know that other 'good' companies will probably do this as well. Tibor and Sage equipment is a lifelong piece of equipment. Thanks Tibor and Sage for some mighty fine equipment and backing up your word.

Sending reels back periodically to get serviced is not a dumb idea... ;) I have in the past but let these go too long. :o
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: A tale of 2 reels and 2 super companies

Postby Sharpefly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 am

Had a similiar experiance with Sage. Broke one of my 1880 frames at the foot caught it with my sandle while on my boat it the rod rack. So I sent the frame back to see if I could get a replacement. Sage sent me a brand new 2080 complete with frame and spool no charge. Never expected that.

Postby Junebug » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 am

I had a similar experience with a Shimano spinning reel. I was fishing the "hook" for albies about eight years ago and snagged a Fenwick rod with a Stella 2500 spinning reel attached. It had obviously been in the water awhile, as the cork was sanded down on the rod from being dragged back and forth with the tides. The reel was frozen, being packed with fine sand. I tried to clean it but could not get rid of the fine sand in the bearings.

I called Shimano and told them my story. Even how I found the reel. They told me to send it back and they would fix it.
Several weeks later, I get the reel with all new bearings (fifteen of them) and it was as smooth as silk! NO CHARGE other than postage.

Too bad they don't make fly reels.

JuneBug

Postby bhorsley » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:23 am

Junebug wrote:I had a similar experience with a Shimano spinning reel. I was fishing the "hook" for albies about eight years ago and snagged a Fenwick rod with a Stella 2500 spinning reel attached. It had obviously been in the water awhile, as the cork was sanded down on the rod from being dragged back and forth with the tides. The reel was frozen, being packed with fine sand. I tried to clean it but could not get rid of the fine sand in the bearings.

I called Shimano and told them my story. Even how I found the reel. They told me to send it back and they would fix it.
Several weeks later, I get the reel with all new bearings (fifteen of them) and it was as smooth as silk! NO CHARGE other than postage.

Too bad they don't make fly reels.

JuneBug

good to hear that about Shimano --in the past we fished their spinning reels and their warranty sucked. Had numerous reels fail within a month and no cheap ones and sent them back to Shimano and was told to bad so sad --took a whole bag of stradics and two stellas dumped them over a wreck
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby JoeB » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:48 am

[/quote]

good to hear that about Shimano --in the past we fished their spinning reels and their warranty sucked. Had numerous reels fail within a month and no cheap ones and sent them back to Shimano and was told to bad so sad --took a whole bag of stradics and two stellas dumped them over a wreck[/quote]

:o :o :o :o :o
Have kayak...will travel.

Postby bhorsley » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:57 am

yep Joe we had such bad luck with them will not use them anymore --but that is just us and it has been 5 yrs
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby AMJohnston » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 pm

"My Tibor reel started to make unnatural noises after a few runs with some barilette."
If anyone would know about "unnatural noises", it would be you Emerson!

Return to General