Moderator Control Panel ]

targeting flounder???

General Questions

targeting flounder???

Postby Jdog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Have never targeted flounder with a flyrod though I have gotten a couple accidentals fishing for trout and drum. Besides being "on location" where flounder like to haunt and hunt is there any special tactics that folks use to target them on fly??

example: Anyone ever try a clouser under a bobber strike indicator? was casting for drum the other day outta MHC and nailed a small flatfish - right where a marsh ditch washes out by some oyster rocks - maybe a clouser drifted under a cork would hold a clouser in place longer for a flatfish strike?

never tried it but gonna next time out - anyone else ever try this?

J

Re: targeting flounder???

Postby Cutter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 am

We target them on the flats at Henlopen DE. It is a very broad salt flat that can be waded. We use lightly weighted clousers and floating lines with 6-8 foot flouro leaders. Do a classic wetfly drift: cast across the current, let the fly swing and start a long slow strip when the fly gets down-current of you. The bite is usually right when the swing finishes, but occasionally they will follow the stripped fly. I dont know how that will translate to your location but good luck.

Check this article by Joe Evans about Tony Friedriick and Ed Liccione, the masters of this game:
http://dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishin ... =joe_evans
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Jdog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am

That is exactly how I caught that little jobber Sun - basically a marsh ditch emptying out an area - I was on the sandbar side casting to the far bank which was a marsh/oyster shoal. white flashy clouser I like just swinging down that shoal and all of a sudden sucked it up. My thought process was just under a cork I could control the drift right down that oyster bank??

Gonna try it, cant hurt! as with anything gotta learn somehow!

Appreciate the info -

Postby Cutter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 am

Are you planning to throw that cork with a flyrod? Might be challenging. A floating line and short leader may give you a more flyrod friendly option to accomplish the same task. Good luck and post results.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Coach11 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm

I have had some good luck catching flounder in Tidewater Virginia by drifting with the tide across flats and the edges of channels and hopping a clousers along with the drift. Depending upon the depth of the water and the weight of the rod I am fishing, I will generally use a line with a 30 foot sinking tip to keep the fly working along the bottom. For example, I may use a Teeny 300 with an 8 weight rod. I have had some really good luck using this method in places like Mobjack Bay, Poquoson Flats, Hampton Bar, etc. My favorite pattern is olive over white with a few strands of copper Krystal Flash but I am sure other colors will work just as well. Flounder seem to like the bucktail. I have also caught croakers and specs fishing this way! Good luck!

Postby Jdog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:50 pm

I was just thinking a large thingamabobber - or little torpedo style bobber nothing large like a poppin bobber ?? never nymphed fished before in my life but this should be a kinda the same.

Floating line with a 4/6' foot fluoro furled leader and 3 feet of fluro 10lb makes a good sinking tip!! I got a spool with streamer express on it too but try to stay with my floating line as mostly I am 6 feet or less and a flattie will come up off the bottom to get something looking tasty.

Gonna give em a good shot this weekend with the fly around newport marshes/haystacks behind the port here in MHC - will let yall know -----

J

Postby Jdog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 am

Yeah anything on the line does not shoot well - leave that for roll casting on a trout stream! Small specks and blues only but a decent time. Gonna keep at the flatties - just useig the floating line!!

Postby bhorsley » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

we catch the biggest flounder of our season on fly while speckled trout fishing mostly on marsh points with intermediate fly line and black over orange clouser
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to General