Moderator Control Panel ]

GPS/Sounder Advice

General Questions

GPS/Sounder Advice

Postby KnotCase » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 am

Looking for a new GPS/Sounder - any advice?
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Re: GPS/Sounder Advice

Postby Keysjake » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I really like this unit with structure scan option. http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx :D
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:50 pm

A buddy of mine has one of the aforementioned models. I cant remember which exactly, but he let me use it this fall while running the boat out lake trout fishing and it is absolutely incredible.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby kendalloz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 am

The Lowrance and Hbird side scan units both use the same technology....just depends on which brand you like best. Hbird sued Lowrance about this (Hbird came out with it first) and it was settled out of court. I have no experience with the Lowrance but my Hbird is 8 or 9 years old (got it when they first came out) been kept out in the weather and constantly switched between 2 boats and not a glitch. Folks still tend to think of Hbird as fresh water bass boat machines but they are fine in the salty environment as well. For anyone who intends to buy a side scan any brand get the largest screen you can afford...it makes a huge
difference.

One of the coolest features on the Hbird is if you see structure (or fish) on the side scan you can move the cursor to the spot and hit "mark" and the exact spot of the structure/fish is on your plotter! Then just cruise over to the waypoint and start fishing!

Postby bhorsley » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:15 pm

i really like SOBX Lowrance --it is a very easy screen to see

Garmin is another to look at as well. I am a Furuno fan--but as of the last time i check they did not make a small chart plotter anymore.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby toddkfly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:19 pm

I put on the Lowrance HDS8 Gen 2 with structure scan. Super clear fast zoom on gps. Structure scan is just plain sick. Best investment I made in fishing this year-period.

Postby kendalloz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 pm

toddkfly...that is the reaction most folks have! They are like "wow" this is sick. If you have x dollars in the boat budget, trim some off someplace else and get a good sounder. Really makes a difference. Everyone I have met who went with side/down scan said they will never go back to a "regular" machine again.

Postby floodlm » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:56 pm

For what it's worth, I just got my CF23 outfitted with the HDS 10... love it. Great bang for the buck. Last boat had a humminbird which was also nice. Donnie Jones embedded a through hull Airmar B117 on it which has been great for what I do with it. Would recommend that relatively inexpensive upgrade over the transom model. No complaints what so ever.

Postby KnotCase » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks for all the help guys -

For the Lowrance, what are you using for mapping?
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Next

Return to General