Moderator Control Panel ]

Redington predator rods

General Questions

Redington predator rods

Postby flyinby » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am

Has anyone fished a Redington Predator series rod? Being a Sage co, is that 7'11" 6wt. The same blank as the bass II rod? Thinking backup rods. Great price...
Last edited by flyinby on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Remington predator rods

Postby bhorsley » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:13 am

i have many of the predators 6, 8, 9, 10 while Sage owns the company the rods are made off shore. I love the 8, 9, 10s we have both the 6 wts 9' and 7' 11" and to me the 7' 11" is a dud. do not much care for it and took it out of the line up. will play with it more at Harkers.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby meatstick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:15 pm

This is a "Remington" Predator. Do NOT fish with it !!
"It's a yoke, son ... I say, I say ...it's a yoke !!"

Postby Sharpefly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Basspro has some 7'10" 6 weight on sale for 139 now. Normal price 199.

Postby floodlm » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:42 am

So, i just moved back to the land where the ocean is on the right side of the road. The boss has been kind in letting me lurk from the West coast, so i'm looking forward to being more active. Figured I chime in on this one... I have the 6 wt. Love it as my kayak rod. Works great for me, and I found it matched well with the 6 wt rio ob short. Not sure it would be my first choice for a boat, but again, awesome from the paddles.

Anyway, great to be home finally.

Postby Emerson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:12 am

Fishing with a good (Sage) short rod (Largemouth Bass) for a few days I found out some things. They are great to use in a boat to fish along shore. You can get back in the action with one backcast! They form tight loops enabling you to get under trees. They let you fish close to the boat easily. Very strong in the butt with superb lifting power. They are just great! They do not stop all tree limb hook-ups but do lessen the chance..that is good for me. Not for everyone and not for all situations but where they work....they are enjoyed! Now I only fished with one rod and cast another(Sage Peacock Bass) heavier rod but those 2 have me sold. I would be very interested in casting the Predator 'bass' rods. The other Predator rods I have fished seemed to be $ for $ a great deal.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Redington predator rods

Postby flyinby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 am

Emerson, just bought the peacock rod...can easily cast the entire outbound 425gr. with a back cast...just had to speed up the timing and the stroke..I've only fished with it once and I tend to overshoot the targets a bit , but it's very accurate...great for throwing sidearmed to the banks. Will definitely be getting some lighter versions for the fish here..Love it....I don't have a local fly shop anymore to test drive rods ,so it's nice to get input. I've had several people try to talk me out buying the bass series, said they were a gimmick... glad I didn't listen..

Postby bhorsley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 am

one man's gimmick another man's joy
will try my predator 6 wt with an OBS
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Sharpefly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Got my 6wt Predator today in the mail. Tried a eight weight forward line on it casted right to the backing. Looking forward to using it this fall on steelies on some small streams up here.

Return to General