Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly fishing the Outer Banks

General Questions

Fly fishing the Outer Banks

Postby flytyer643 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Starting to plan out a trip next August to the Outer Banks and want to do some wading with the fly rod. Right now we are looking into the Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills area, but suggestions are welcome. Used to wading the waters of South Padre Island so I am use to this environment. I currently tie my own flies and use an 8wt. fly rod. Suggestions on locations and gear are welcome.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Re: Fly fishing the Outer Banks

Postby bhorsley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:38 pm

most of the wade fishing is done around Oregon Inlet which about 15 miles south or where you are planning to stay. Maybe some others will chime in on spots.

Our area is almost 100% migratory fishery so we really do not know who will show up each season. Much of it depends on our winter on how severe it is. Will have a better clue next June.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Biff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Earlier this season there were some folks getting specs and occasional pups behind Kitty Hawk along the soundside, turn in around MP5, and find a spot to park and it's been best in the corner, (NE) of Kitty Hawk bay. There is an opening to a ditch up north and it was hot at sunrise for awhile. Clousers, dark best. Early mornings on a SW wind the pompano should be in the surf, and watch early and late for bullet mackerel tearing up the surf. Last week there were a few puppies caught in the cuts between little and big Colington. Yesterday there were trout down at the inlet in the old CG basin on the south side and a few waders were in the prop slough at the Oregon Inlet fishing center. Good luck.
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby flytyer643 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks for the help. I will continue to watch this site as time goes by and right up until next August when we come down. Thanks for the help.

Bob

Return to General