Moderator Control Panel ]

Hello(intro and looking for help)

General Questions

Hello(intro and looking for help)

Postby JKPa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi my name is Jeff. My family and I will be making our first trip down to the Outer Banks in a little over a week. We will be staying in Corolla. I have never fly fished in saltwater before only fresh, but I'm planning on giving it a go while we are on vacation. I have been fly fishing for roughly 10 years but haven't made that jump yet. I have an 8wt. Sage ONE that will be my weapon for the week. I have done a bit of surf fishing with spinning gear in New Jersey and I have somewhat of an idea on how to read a beach. My plan was to hit the surf and maybe some backwater type stuff if I can. My buddy has a boat a couple of kayaks that may make the trip down with us, but I'm not sure on that yet. My biggest problem is that I really have no idea where to start once we get down there.I was wondering if anybody would like to take the time to help a newbie out with some suggested flies and tactics. Also what should I be expecting to target as far as species go? If anyone wants to point me in a general direction as far as where to best spend my time on the water I would really be appreciative. Please don't think I'm looking for hot spots or honey holes, that truly isn't my. I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer once I get a general idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. I just honestly don't know where to start. One other question is about my gear. What should I be doing to it after each outing? total strip down and clean, soak in fresh water, just hose it down?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jeff

Re: Hello(intro and looking for help)

Postby Biff » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:42 pm

A daily hosing should take care of the gear while you are here. Might be some Spanish in the surf, especially if you use the yaks and get out a bit. This year ythe bullet mackerel have been around, just not thick, but look early and late on something small and fast. Trout have been spotty, clouser in dark, orange and black, red, etc. The sound I am not sure about, but have heard a few bass rumors back there recently. Pompano are around, I have done a few on little crazy charlie's but not too many. The usual read, sloughs and cuts, outfalls are good starts. Good luck!
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby diamondga » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:14 pm

If it is at all possible, hiring a guide for your first time in saltwater in a strange area would provide a major jump start on your learning curve. And the host of this web site and his wife are the some of best in in the business. As far as flies, a good selection of Clouser minnows would go a long ways.

Postby JKPa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 am

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. One last thing I forgot, are there any fly shops in the Outer Banks?

Postby Biff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Nope, TWs in Kitty Hawk kas a few clousers and streamers, maybe 12 total in stock - you should bring everything you need, but the list is short :)
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby JKPa » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks for the help. So what should I have with me as far as leaders go? So slimmer profile flies are the ticket? No reason to use deceivers or poppers?

Postby bhorsley » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:18 pm

we use 9 to 10 foot tapered leaders 16 to 20 pound --i use a Clouser or a modified Clouser 99% of the time. Black over orange, black over red, olive and white, grey and white, brown and white all with copper flash
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby JKPa » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks. I have the leaders and tippet material(flouro), got buck tail in the colors I didn't have, size 2 and 4 saltwater hooks(I hope they are the right size) and some copper flash. Now I just have to sit down at the vise and whip out some flies. So I want to fish the dark colors in the surf as well as the sound, or stick to more natural colors in the surf? How is night fishing down there? Will I need a license?

Postby bhorsley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:58 pm

you will need a license

never fished much at night

in the surf i use chartreuse over white, tan and white, grey and white,

hook size from # 4 to 1/0 are fine
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby JKPa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Return to General