Moderator Control Panel ]

Tell us your shark story

General Questions

Tell us your shark story

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Stole this idea from KendallOz: We've all seen the video of the shark so what is your best shark story?

I'll start it off.

A few years back, I was kayaking on the Ocean side between Duck and Corolla around an old anchor just off the beach. Previously, my dad and I had caught some nice triggers off this anchor and I was heading back to see if they were there. As I approach the anchor, I look down and low and behold, there is a shark hanging out beneath my boat that was a fair bit larger than my yak. Needless to say, I freaked out and paddled faster than I've ever paddled in my life. I still cant go back to than anchor without a bit of anxiety praying my friend isnt there again.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Tell us your shark story

Postby kendalloz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Was wade fishing with a guide for bonefish on Long Island in the Bahamas. Caught a bone in water about 6-inches deep. I was bent-over from the waist, holding the bonefish upside down and just as I got the hook out a 2-foot lemon bumps my forearm! It was right there in my face. Literally ran into me. Needless to say it shocked the poop out of me and I jumped and let the bone go and it went after the bone. It was almost like the shark was sniffing my arm to see if I was good enough to bite! The guide gave me no warning...he must have been waiting to see what happened or was not paying attention.

We have seen 2 totally huge sharks in very very skinny (like 12-inch) water on the Eastern Shore. Their backs out of the water....looked like 7-8 feet. As big as a human. Creepy when they are close.

On Andros once wade fishing with Allen P...he hooked a bonefish and during the fight a cuda took the bone. He continued to fight the cuda and as it was close to coming to hand a 3-foot shark blasted in and got the cuda (with bonefish). The shark stayed on the line for one blistering run before it bit the line.

So I guess that is more than one story.

Postby flyinby » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:21 am

A few years back my wife and I were in port lucaya in the Bahamas and went to a restaurant called pier one...When we were seated, the hostes asked if we wanted a outside table to watch the sharks feed..there is a two story wrap around deck at the restaurant...It was late afternoon and still blazin out, and I thought I had seen sharks eat before....Ate inside in the AC...When they start ringing this ship's bell out on the deck, everyone in the restaurant gets up from their meals and goes outside...At the moment they ring the bell they start throwing scraps in the water and instantly there was at least a dozen 9-12foot sharks,( not sure of the variety, they were movin way too fast...)just boiling the water, like a albie blitz, huge schools of jack crevalle would weave thru the sharks and pick up the bits and pieces.... an amazing site to see, with a birdseye view about twenty feet above all that carnage...Can't remember a damn thing about the meal......will never forget the sharks...Amazingly enough, when we go back in the restaurant, we walk on the other side of the deck andthere are at least six people swimming in the water, people wading the shore, on vacation...seemingly oblivious to what is happening just one hundred feet away........

Postby Emerson » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 am

This happened when I was in Abaco in the Bahamas fishing for bonefish. My friend Bill, myself and a guide were looking for tails. Found some and I got out of the boat to go get them. (Nothin like chasin tails...ha ha) Anyway I hook a nice bonefish and it takes me in deeper water. I follow..all of a sudden a shark tracks the bonefish down and bites off its tail. The guys in the boat are watching and laughing...nice guys. I then see the fish eyeing up 180 lbs of pure muscle (this was a few years ago..ha ha). I look for the nearest piece of coral and climb up. It barely was large enough for my 2 feet. My friend and guide are really laughing now. I was not laughing...they came over and rescued me. The guide said that was a typical shark maneuver....eat the tail then take their time to munch as the fish was crippled.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Cutter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Susan and i were in Honduras to sit on a beach and fish, respectively. The sand flies were voracious so she joined me in the one afternoon. The guide and I staked out the boat and went to wade a huge flat covered with bone fish and permit in very skinny water. "We'll be right back"I said. 6 bones and a permit later, we were on the far side of a little atoll. We beat feet back to the boat. As we rounded the island there was a very unhappy wife standing in the skiff with a couple small lemon sharks swimming around. Our estimates of the sharks' lengths differ, but enough to say they cost me dearly.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby toddkfly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:35 pm

As a kid up on Cape Cod, one of the local blue fin boats was heading out to dart tuna and they said my father and I could come along. We made the decent run from Barstable harbor to just about a mile west of Welfleet(bayside). The tuna were scarce this day but we spot a dorsal fin behind a dragger. Guy on the adjacent boat believes it to be a huge mako so they get into position and he throws his dart. We soon realize that this was no mako. Turned out to be a 12' white shark. Fish was brought to the dock where the entire village of Barnstable Harbor as well as folks from Woods Hole Institutue met us. Even at the curious age of 10, I felt bad to see the shark hung up. After the crowds dispersed, the lead biologist that was there pulled me aside and gave me an up close tour of a white shark's anatomy. The serrated edges of the teeth were sharper than you could ever imagine. Fish was a juvenile male, estimated at 3-5 years old and I recall the weight to be right around 800lbs. or so. Was probably the catalyst for me becoming interested in science. Amazing animal. I have a polaroid somewhere here and will have to scan and post up.

Postby meatstick » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Todd, I thought you were gonna tell us something like this:

"from out of the white shark's mouth dropped a Louisiana license plate".

Postby kendalloz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Cool stories!

Postby toddkfly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 am

Nothing but shredded fish hanging out of that mouth. Used to see a lot of basking sharks up there as well. Goofy looking but impressive. Lot of Baskers off Block island these days.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 pm

AWesome stories everyone. Sorry I havent replied sooner but Im currently working at a field station in the Huron Mountains in Michigan and have been for the past 3 weeks. Slipping away to the OBX on Sunday for a week, hoping not to have any new shark stories to share when I return.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Return to General