Moderator Control Panel ]

New Nikon - D800

General Questions

Re: New Nikon - D800

Postby Biff » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 pm

DThimsen wrote:Is the frame rate limited by the speed of the flash memory? If yes, then there might be some relief on the horizon. I've been experimenting with new SSD hard drives on computers, and there have been some recent technology improvements that are amazing. The flash memory in the SSDs are now rated at over 550 MB/s for sequential writes (bursts), and can sustain about half that rate for continuous writes. That's about 3x what I've seen in the past - and translates into a Windows system booting in about 12 seconds. If flash memory has been the speed bottleneck on cameras, you might see some nice improvements when manufactures move the memory to consumer flash cards.... Don

Right now the bottleneck is the processer in camera, but at the moment it's only a concern if you are shooting sustained sports type stuff in RAW - JPEGs will do fine for that use for most people anywho. We shoot RAW for everything, but bursts are short and usually not more than 6 frames anyhow. Any faster and you might shoot video mode and use frames from that, but when I was teaching I really tried to get my students to work on their timing and not rely on 4 slices of time if the right one will do better :)

The dump rate isn't a hindrance on most, my buffer is usually 15 frames waiting, so I'd have to do a stuck trigger scenario to need more.
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby bhorsley » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm

thanks Biff
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks again Biff!

Postby KnotCase » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks for all the info Biff. I had beed thinking 800 vs 800E and pretty much decided to go with the 800. I don't expect to notice the drop from my 700's 5 fps to 4, except for twice a year (billfishing and tarpon). What I am really looking forward to is the improvement in cropping power on bird shots. Even with the 600 (aka "the compensator") you are never close enough! Waiting for Nikon to come out with a light weight f2.8 600-1800 zoom with VR! :lol:
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby bhorsley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:15 am

still be out of range and you would need a 2400mm ;)
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Brian is right. Birds are always too far away.

Get a video camera that shoots in DNG format (each frame is RAW) set it up close turn it on then walk away. Come back later to see what you have!

Don't forget to get a new computer to deal with all this....

Postby KnotCase » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:40 pm

One thing at a time. A guy at Southeastern Camera told me yesterday they are expecting 800s to start coming in about 3 weeks.
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby kendalloz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 am

The only camera store we have around here is Ritz and they have gotten a few in that were pre-ordered. The manager said that will be the case for most of the year! Order then wait. They do not expect to have any to put on a shelf until late fall/Christmas!

Postby bhorsley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 am

that's what B&H says --you can pre order but they are being released in limited quantities --sounds like they are hedging their bets on the new technology
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Biff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:15 pm

As a reformed retailer, it's likely they are protecting the value on 700s at the moment, at least until the inventory on those and the associated parts has been reduced substantially. After that, if Nikon is being good to their dealers they will have them on allocation for some time, with a base number per franchise plus additional untits based on merit (volume, NPS dealership, ability to swag the rep) as they gradually fill demand. This also protects the pricing structure so no discounting should take place for a year or so after intro. They are doing the right thing it looks like for the dealers who ultimately are who services the customer base.
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Previous

Return to General